Topics > Cumbria > Brigsteer > Church of St John, Helsington > Brough > Brough Castle > Church of St Michael, Brough > Brough Sowerby > Brougham > Brougham Hall > Broughton Beck > Broughton-in-Furness > Broughton-in-Furness, 1848 > Burnbanks > Burton-in-Kendal > Burton House, Burton-in-Kendal > Church of St James, Burton-in-Kendal > Market Cross, Burton-in-Kendal > Memorial Hall, Burton-in-Kendal > Busk, Kirkoswald > Butterwick > Calthwaite > Cartmel > Cartmel Priory > Cartmel Fell > Church of St Anthony, Cartmel Fell > Casterton > Casterton Grange > Casterton Hall > Casterton Stone Circle > Church of Holy Trinity, Casterton > Old Milestone, by Casterton Grange > The Pheasant Inn, Casterton > Toll Bar Cottage, Casterton > Catterlen > Chapel Stile, Cumbria > Church of the Holy Trinity, Chapel Stile > Langdale War Memorial > Clappersgate > Clarghyll > Clarghyll Colliery > Clarghyll Hall > Milestone, Clargillhead > Clawthorpe > Cliburn > Church of St Cuthbert, Cliburn > Cliburn Mill bridge > Clifton > Church of St Cuthbert, Clifton > Clough (Garsdale) > Clough Bridge (Garsdale) > Cockley Beck > Cockley Beck Bridge > Colby > Colthouse > Quaker Meeting House, Colthouse > Colton > Holy Trinity Church, Colton > Coniston > Brantwood > Lodge and Stables, Brantwood > William Linton at Brantwood > Church of St Andrew > Coniston Hall > Donald Campbell Memorial > Grave of Donald Campbell > John Ruskin School > Monk Coniston > Ruskin Memorial > Ruskin Museum > War Memorial > Cowan Head > Cowgill > Church of St John, Cowgill > Cowgill Bridge > Dockra Bridge > Ewegales Bridge > Crackenthorpe > Croglin > Church of John the Baptist, Croglin > Crook > Church of St Catherine > Sun Inn, Crook > Tower of Old Parish Church, Crook > Crosby Garrett > Church of St Andrew, Crosby Garrett > Crosby Garrett Viaduct > Crosby Ravensworth > Charles II Monument, Crosby Ravenswoth Fell > Church of St Lawrence, Crosby Ravensworth > Crosscrake > Church of St Thomas, Crosscrake > Crosthwaite > Church of St Mary, Crosthwaite > Cowmire Hall > Culgaith > Church of All Saints, Culgaith > War Memorial, Culgaith > Dacre > Church of St Andrew, Dacre > Dacre Castle > Dale, Ainstable > Dalton > Dalton Old Hall > Dalton-in-Furness > Church of St Mary > Dalton Castle > Former Library Building > Library > War Memorial > Dendron > Church of St Matthew, Dendron > Dent, South Lakeland > Adam Sedgwick Fountain, Dent > Church Bridge, Dent > Church of St Andrew, Dent, South Lakeland > Dent Memorial Hall > Sun Inn, Dent > The George and Dragon, Dent > War Memorial, Dent > Dillicar, Cumbria > Dockray (Eden) > Matterdale Church > Dufton > Church of St Cuthbert, Dufton > Dufton Hall > Dufton with Knock Methodist Chapel > Fountain, Dufton - Village Green > Stag Inn, Dufton > Youth Hostel, Dufton > Edenhall > Church of St Cuthbert, Edenhall > Edenhall Parish, 1848 > Ellonby > Elterwater > Elterwater Bridge > Elterwater Cafe > The Britannia Inn, Elterwater > Endmoor > Millennium Clock, Endmoor > Far Arnside > Far Sawrey > Claife Station, Far Sawrey > Farleton > Lancaster Canal Aqueduct, Farleton > Field Broughton > Church of St Peter, Field Broughton > Finsthwaite > Church of St Peter, Finsthwaite > The Spire, near Finsthwaite > Firbank > Church of St John the Evangelist, Firbank > Flitholme > Flookburgh > Church of St John the Baptist, Flookburgh > Forest Hall, Kendal > Galligill, Alston > Gamblesby > Old Church of St John, Gamblesby > Village Stocks, Gamblesby > Garrigill > Ashgill Bridge over Ashgill Force > Ivy House Farm > Redwing Chapel, near Garrigill > St Johns' Church > Tynebottom Mine, near Garrigill > Garsdale ('The Street') > Church of St John the Baptist, Garsdale > Garsdale Street Chapel > Garsdale Head > Dandrymire Viaduct > Garsdale Railway Station > Ruswarp Statue, Garsdale Station > Signal Box, Garsdale Railway Station > Railway Bridge, Garsdale Head > Glassonby > Addingham Cross > Church of St Michael, Glassonby > Gleaston > Gleaston Castle > Gleaston, 1848 > Grange-over-Sands > Bandstand, Park Road Gardens > Church of St Paul, Grange-over-Sands > Clock Tower, Grange-over-Sands > Grange Lido > Grange-Over-Sands Railway Station > Hampsfell Hospice, Grange-over-Sands > Netherwood Hotel, Grange-over-Sands > Victorial Hall (Council Offices), Grange-over-Sands > War Memorial, Grange-over-Sands > Grasmere > Brimmer Head Farmhouse, near Grasmere > Church of St Oswald, Grasmere > Dove Cottage and Wordsworth Museum > Grasmere Lakeland Sports and Show > The Travellers Rest, nr Grasmere > War Memorial, Grasmere > Grayrigg > Church of St John the Evangelist, Grayrigg > Graythwaite > Graythwaite Hall > Gardens at Graythwaite Hall > Graythwaite Low Hall > Great Asby > Asby Endowed School > Church of St Peter, Great Asby > Great Asby Parish, 1848 > Great Blencow > Spire House, near Great Blencow > Great Langdale > Great Musgrave > Church of St Theobald, Great Musgrave > Musgrave Bridge > Great Ormside > Church of St James, Great Ormside > Cross, St James' Churchyard, Great Ormside > Ormside Hall > Ormside Parish, 1848 > Ormside Viaduct > Roadside Preaching Cross, Great Ormside > Great Salkeld > Church of St Cuthbert, Great Salkeld > War Memorial, Great Salkeld > Great Strickland > Church of St Barnabas, Great Strickland > Great Urswick > Church of St Mary and St Michael, Great Urswick > Greenodd > Greystoke > Bunkers Hill (farmhouse), Greystoke > Church of St Andrew, Greystoke > Duke of Norfolk Bridge, Greystoke > Fort Putnam (farmhouse), Greystoke > Greystoke Castle > Storch Bridge, Greystoke > Village Cross, Greystoke > Greystoke Gill > Grizedale > Meta Culpa (sculpture) > Gullom Holme > Hackthorpe > Hale > Halfpenny > Old Milepost, A65, Halfpenny > Hall Dunnerdale > Dunnerdale Hall > Haresceugh > Hartley > Hartley Castle > Merrygill Viaduct > Podgill Viaduct > Haverthwaite > Church of St Anne, Haverthwaite > Haverthwaite Parish, 1905 > Haverthwaite Station > The Anglers Arms > War Memorial, Haverthwaite > Hawkshead > Church of St Michael and All Angels, Hawkshead > Hawkshead Esthwaite Primary School > Hawkshead Grammar School - Museum > Old Courthouse, Hawkshead > War Memorial, Hawkshead > Hazelslack > Hazelslack Tower > Helton > Helton Methodist Chapel > Heversham > Church of St Peter, Heversham > High Casterton > Old Manor, High Casterton > High Hesket > Church of St Mary, High Hesket > Parker Family Vault, High Hesket > High Hesket CE Primary School > Salutation Inn, High Hesket > War Memorial, High Hesket > Hincaster > Hincaster Hall > Hincaster Tunnel > Eastern end of Hincaster Tunnel > Horse Path, Hincaster Tunnel > Western end of Hincaster Tunnel > Holme > Church of the Holy Trinity, Holme > War Memorial, Holme > Howtown > Hutton > Hutton John > Hutton Roof (Penrith) > Hutton Roof (South Lakeland) > Church of St. John, Hutton Roof > War Memorial, Hutton Roof > Ings > Church of St Anne, Ings > Ireleth > Church of St Peter, Ireleth > Ivegill > Packhorse Bridge, Ivegill > Johnby > Johnby Hall > Kaber, Cumbria > Keisley > Kendal > Abbot Hall Art Gallery, Kendal > Castle Dairy > Church of St Thomas > Church of the Holy Trinity > Friends' Meeting House > Holy Trinity and St George RC Church > Kendal at War > Kendal Castle > Kendal Library > Kendal Parish Hall > Kirkland > War Memorial > Kentmere > Church of St Cuthbert, Kentmere > Kentmere Hall > Kentmere, 1848 > Killington > Church of All Saints, Killington > Killington Hall > Killington, Westmorland, 1884 > Kirkby Lonsdale > Church of St Mary > Gazebo in Churchyard, St Mary's Church > Devil's Bridge > Market Cross > Old Market Cross, Kirkby Lonsdale > Ruskin's View > The Radical Steps > Underley Hall > Kirkby Stephen > Black Bull Hotel, Kirkby Stephen > Church of St Stephen > Croglam Castle (Iron Age site) > Frank's Bridge > Kirkby Stephen at War > Kirkby Stephen East Station > Kirkby Stephen Grammar School > Kirkby Stephen Primary School > Kirkby Stephen Station > Signal box, Kirkby Steven Station > Nine Standards Rigg > Old Grammar School, Kirkby Stephen > Pennine Hotel, Kirkby Stephen > Stobars Hall, Kirkby Stephen > Temperance Hall, Kirkby Stephen > The Cloisters > War Memorial > Kirkby Thore > Church of St Michael, Kirkby Thore > Kirkby Thore School > Kirkby Thore Station > Roman milestone near Spitals Farm > Kirkby-in-Furness > Church of St Cuthbert, Kirkby-in-Furness > Kirkland (Culgaith) > Church of St Lawrence, Kirkland (Culgaith) > Kirkoswald > Bell Tower, Kirkoswald > Church of St Oswald, Kirkoswald > Kirkoswald Castle > Knock > Lamonby > Langrigg (Brough) > Old School, Langrigg (Brough) > Langwathby > Church of St Peter, Langwathby > Langwathby Railway Station > The Shepherd's Inn, Langwathby > War Memorial, Langwathby > Lazonby > Lazonby C.of E. School > Leadgate > Rotherhope Fell Mine > Leece > Levens > Church of St John the Evangelist, Levens > Levens Bridge > Levens Hall > Levens Hall Gounds > Levens Parish, 1848 > War Memorial, Levens > Lindal-in-Furness > Church of St Peter, Lindal-in-Furness > War Memorial, Lindal-in-Furness > Lindale > Castle Head, near Lindale > Castle Head Bridge, Grange-over-Sands > Church of St Paul, Lindale > Monument to John Wilkinson, Lindale > Little Asby > Little Langdale > Slater's Bridge, Little Langdale > Three Shires Inn, Little Langdale > Little Musgrave > Little Salkeld > Little Salkeld Viaduct > Little Strickland > Church of St Mary, Little Strickland > Little Urswick > Little Urswick, 1848 > Long Marton > Church of St Margaret and St James, Long Marton > Old Methodist Chapel, Long Marton > Longdales > Low Wood Village > Low Wood Bridge, over River Leven > Low Wood Gunpowder Works > Low Wray > Church of St Margaret, Low Wray > Lodge and gateway to Wray Castle > Wray Castle > Boathouse, Wray Castle > Jetty, Wray Castle > Summerhouse, Wray Castle > Lowgill > Lowgill Viaduct > Packhorse Bridge by Lowgill Viaduct > Lowick, Cumbria > Church of St Luke, Lowick > Lowther > Lowther Castle > Lupton > Lupton Tower > Mansriggs > Marton > Maulds Meaburn > Melkinthorpe > Melmerby > Church of St John the Baptist, Melmerby > Former Melmerby School (1862 - 1974) > Melmerby Hall > Melmerby Village Hall > Shepherd's Inn, Melmerby > Middleton > Church of Holy Ghost, Middleton > Middleton Bridge over the Rawthey > Middleton Hall, Middleton > Milburn > Church of St Cuthbert, Milburn > Howgill Castle, Milburn > Milburn Primary School > Milburn, Westmorland, 1848 > Milnthorpe > Church of St Thomas, Milnthorpe > Dallam Tower, Milnthorpe > Market Cross, Milnthorpe > St Anthony's Tower, near Milnthorpe > War Memorial, Milnthorpe > Morland, Cumbria > Church of St Lawrence, Morland > Quakergate Cottage, Morland > Mosedale (village) > Mosedale Bridge > Quaker Meeting House, Mosedale > Motherby > Mungrisdale (village) > Church of St Kentigern, Mungrisedale > Murrah > Murton, Cumbria > Murton Hall, Cumbria > Narthwaite > Nateby > Black Bull Inn, Nateby > Nateby Methodist Church > Old School, Nateby > Natland > Church of St Mark, Natland > Hawes Bridge, Nantland > Post Office, Natland > Near Sawrey > Nenthall > Nent Hall County Hotel > War Memorial, Nenthall > Nenthead > Bainbridge Pump and Canopy, Nenthead > Church of St John the Evangelist, Nenthead > Community Shop and Post Office > Killhope Cross, near Nenthead > Nenthead Mines > The Hive (former chapel), Nenthead > Nentsberry > Haggs Mine, Nentsberry > Nentsberry Chapel > New Hutton, Cumbria > Church of St Stephen, New Hutton > Greyhound Gatepiers to St Stephen's Church, New Hutton > Gatepiers to Former School, New Hutton > Holme Park, New Hutton > Newbiggin, Ainstable > Newbiggin, Dacre > Newbiggin, Furness > Newbiggin, Hutton Roof > Newbiggin-on-Lune > Newby Bridge > Newby Bridge (bridge) > Newby, Eden > Newby Hall (Newby, Eden) > Newton Reigny > Church of St John, Newton Reigny > Newton-in-Furness > North Stainmore > Orton, Eden > Church of All Saints, Orton, Eden > Osmotherley > Church of St John the Evangelist, Osmotherley > Ousby > Church of St Luke, Ousby Townhead > Outhgill > Church of St Mary, Outhgill > Pendragon Castle > Oxen Fell, Cumbria > Oxen Park, Cumbria > Glen View and Old Smithy, Oxen Park > Oxenholme > Patterdale > Church of St Patrick, Patterdale > Patterdale CofE Primary School > Patterdale with Hartsop, 1848 > Pennington > Castle Hill, Pennington > Church of St Michael and the Holy Angels, Pennington > Penrith > Beacon Tower > Brougham Castle > Brougham Castle Bridge > Burrowgate > Church of St Andrew > The Giant's Grave, Penrith > Clock Tower, Market Square > Dockray Hall, Penrith > Friends' Meeting House, Penrith > Long Meg and Her Daughters (stone circle) > Penrith at War > Penrith Castle > Penrith Parish, 1848 > Inglewood Forest > Penrith Station > Penrith, Historical Account, 1890 > Plague stone, Penrith > Penruddock > Independent Chapel, Penruddock > Penruddock Primary School > Penruddock Station (1865 - 1972) > Petteril Green > Plumgarths > Plumpton, Cumbria > Church of St John the Evangelist, Plumpton > Pooley Bridge > Bridge (1764 - 2015), Pooley Bridge > Church of St Paul, Pooley Bridge > Preston Patrick > Church of St Patrick, Preston Patrick > Preston Patrick Hall > Quaker Meeting House, Preston Patrick > War Memorial, Preston Patrick > Raisbeck > Raise Hamlet > Ravenstonedale > Church of St Oswald, Ravenstonedale > Former Ravenstonedale Primary School > Ravenstonedale Parish, 1848 > Tarn House, nr Ravenstonedale > Renwick > Church of All Saints, Renwick > Methodist Church, Renwick > Renwick Parish, 1848 > Rookby > Roosebeck > Roundthwaite > Roundthwaite Farmhouse > Ruckcroft > Rusland > Church of St Paul, Rusland > Rusland Hall > Rusland Pool Bridge > Rydal > Church of St Mary, Rydal > Nab Cottage, by Rydal Water > Rydal Hall > Bridge over Rydal Beck, Rydal Hall > Rydal Hall - Gardens > Terrace, Rydal Hall Gardens > The Grot, Rydal Hall > Rydal Mount > Rydal Mount - Gardens > The Mount, Rydal > Sadgill > Sandside, Beetham > Scales, Cumbria > Seathwaite, South Lakeland > Church of the Holy Trinity, Seathwaite > Seathwaite Bridge > Sedbergh > Brigflatts Quaker Meeting House, Sedbergh > Church of St Andrew, Sedbergh > Ingmire Hall > Sedgwick > Sedgwick Aqueduct > Sedgwick Hill Bridge > Sedgwick House > Selside > Church of St Thomas, Selside > Selside Endowed CE Primary School > Selside Hall > Shap > Church of St Michael, Shap > Market Cross, Shap > Milepost near A6 turn to Sleddale > Shap Abbey (ruins) > Silverband > Skelsmergh > Skelsmergh Hall > Skelton > Church of St Michael, Skelton > War Memorial Lychgate, Skelton > Skelwith Bridge > Skelwith Bridge (bridge) > Skirwith > Church of St John, Skirwith > Slack Head, Beetham > Shrine to St Lioba, Slack Head > Sleagill > Sockbridge > Soulby (Penrith) > Sour Nook > Stainton > Stair > Stair Bridge over Newlands Beck > Stapleton > Church of St Mary, Stapleton > Steel Green, Haverigg > Former Hodbarrow Mining Company Offices > Stockdalewath > Stockdalewath Bridge > Stonethwaite > Borrowdale CE Primary School > Sunderland > Swinside > Swinside Stone Circle > Talkin > Talkin Church > Talkin Village Hall > Talkin, 1848 > Tallentire > Old Chapel > Old School > Tallentire Hall > Tallentire Township, 1848 > The Bush Inn > Tarraby > Thackthwaite > The Knowe, Bewcastle > The Knowe United Reformed Church > War Memorial, The Knowe, Bewcastle > Thornby > Thornhill > Thornthwaite > Church of St Mary, Thornthwaite > Thursby > Church of St Andrew, Thursby > Old Milestone, Thursby > The Ship Inn, Thursby > Thursby Methodist Chapel > Thursby Parish Hall > Thursby Primary School > War Memorial, Thusby > Thurstonfield > Thwaites > Church of St Anne, Thwaites > Torpenhow > Church of St Michael & All Angels, Torpenhow > Triermain > Triermain Castle (remains) > Uldale > Church of St James, Uldale > Ullermire > Ullock > Ulpha > Church of St John the Baptist, Ulpha > Ulpha Bridge > Unthank, Dalston > Upper Denton > Church of St Cuthbert, Upper Denton, Cumbria > Walton > Wampool > Wardhall Cottages > Wardhall Guards > Warwick Bridge > Church of St Mary and St Wilfred > Holme Eden Abbey > Warwick Bridge (bridge) > Warwick Bridge Township, 1848 > Warwick-on-Eden > Church of St Leonard, Warwick-on-Eden > Warwick Hall, Warwick-on-Eden > Wasdale Head > Church of St Olaf, Wasdale Head > Packhorse Bridge, Wasdale Head > Wasdale Head Inn > Watchhill > Watendlath > Waverton > Old Milestone, Waverton > West Hall, Cumbria > Westlinton > Lynebank House, Westlinton > Westlinton Bridge > Wetheral > Church of the Holy Trinity and St Constantine, Wetheral > Whelpo > Whelpo Bridge > Whicham > Church of St Mary, Whicham > Whicham Parish, 1848 > Whitbeck > Church of St Mary, Whitbeck > Whitbeck Parish, 1848 > Whitehaven > Catherine Mill, Whitehaven > Christian Brethren Church, Whitehaven > Church of St James the Greater > Corkickle > Former Methodist Church, Lowther St, Whitehaven > Former Sunday School & Meeting House, Scotch street, Whitehaven > Haig Colliery (1914 - 1986) > Haig Colliery Disaster, 1931 > Hensingham > Hensingham Primary School > Saltom Pit > Old Quay Lighthouse, Whitehaven > St Nicholas' Tower and Gardens > The Kirk Mission Hall, Whitehaven > The Watch House, Old Quay, Whitehaven > West Pier Lighthouse, Whitehaven > Whitehaven at War > Whitehaven Castle > Whitehaven Library > Whitehaven, 1848 > William Pit, Whitehaven > William Pit Disaster, 1947 > Whitrigg, Bowness-on-Solway > Whitrigg, Wigton > Wiggonby > RAF Great Orton > Wigton > Church of St Mary > Former King's Arms > Friends Meeting House, Wigton > Hare & Hounds, Wigton > Moore Memorial Fountain > Old Milestone, west of Wigton > Old Pump, Water Street, Wigton > Old Windmill, Wigton > Thomlinson Junior School > Wigton at War > Wigton Market > Wigton, Woodside and Oulton War Memorial > Wilton > Workington > Church of St John > Church of St Michael > Cloffocks > Floods, November 2009 > Workington Town RLFC > Workington, 1848 > Schoose Farm and Windmill > Theatre Royal > Workington at War > Workington Hall (ruins) > Wreay > Church of St Mary > Bewcastle Cross, St Mary's Church > Enclosed graveyard, St Mary's Church > Losh Mausoleum, St Mary's Church > Mortuary Chapel, St Mary's Church > Sundial, St Mary's Church > Crook's Bridge, near Wreay > Historical Account of St Mary's Church > Wreay, 1848 > History of Schools in Wreay > Wreay Bridge > Wreay Cock-fighting Bell > Wreay CofE Primary School > Wreay Village Hall > Wythburn > Wythburn Church > Wythop Mill > Cumberland (ancient county) > Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848 > Dodding Green > Catholic Chapel of SS Robert and Alice and Presbytery, Dodding Green > Drybeck > Drybeck Hall > Dubwath > Eamont Bridge > Eamont Bridge (bridge) > King Arthur's Round Table Henge > Mayburgh Henge > Elleray > Eskdale > Dalegarth Hall, Eskdale > Doctor Bridge, Eskdale > Murthwaite Halt (railway station) > Ewegales > Fellside, Caldbeck > Fisherground, Eskdale > Fisherground Station > Flakebridge, Appleby-in-Westmorland > Old pump, Flakebridge > Flakebridge, Orton > Fold Gate, nr Hawkshead > Furness > Gaisgill, Cumbria > Gaitsgill, Cumbria > Primrose Hall, Gaitsgill > Garden Village, Carlisle > Garnett Bridge > Gawthrop > Gilderdale > Gilderdale Bridge > Gilderdale Halt > Gilderdale Railway Viaduct > Gilsland Spa > Gilsland Hall Hotel > Spa Villa, Gilsland Spa > Sulphur Spring Fountain, Gilsland Spa > Glenridding > Grange, Borrowdale > Church of the Holy Trinity, Grange > Harrington > Church of St Mary, Harrington > War Memorial, Harrington > Hartsop > Cow Bridge, near Hartsop > Myers Head Lead Mine > Haverbrack > Helbeck, Cumbria > Fox Tower, Helbeck > Helbeck Hall > High Biggins > Holmwrangle, Cumbria > How Hill, Castle Sowerby > Hunsonby > Hutton-in-the-Forest > Church of St James, Hutton-in-the-Forest > Hutton-in-the-Forest Grounds > Hutton-in-the-Forest Hall > Itonfield, Cumbria > Kelleth, Cumbria > Kelleth Old Hall > Kelton, Cumbria > Kelton Iron Ore Mine > Kents Bank, Cumbria > Kents Bank Railway Station > King's Meaburn > King's Meaburn Mill > Old School, King's Meaburn > Kingfield, Cumbria > St Nicholas Church, Nicholforest > Lake District > Bassenthwaite Lake > Boretree Tarn > Brotherswater > Kirkstone Pass > Buttermere (lake) > Coniston Water > Peel Island, Coniston Water > Crummock Water > Derwent Water (Lake District) > The Hundred Year Stone, Derwent Water > Elter Water > Ennerdale Water > Esthwaite Water > Grasmere Lake > Haweswater Reservoir > Mardale Green > Loughrigg Tarn > Loweswater (lake) > Holme Wood Bothy, Loweswater > Red Tarn > Rydal Water > Sprinkling Tarn > Tarn Hows > Thirlmere (lake) > Ullswater > Wastwater > Windermere (Lake) > Lakeside, Cumbria > Langton > Little Blencow > Blencow Bridge > Blencow Hall > Methodist Chapel, Little Blencow > Little Corby > Littlebeck, Cumbria > Longcroft, Bowness > Loughrigg, Ambleside > Loughrigg, St Bees > Low Biggins > Mansergh, Cumbria > Church of St Peter, Mansergh > Mansergh Community Hall > Meal Bank, Cumbria > Laverock Bridge > Mealo > Mealo House > Mealrigg, Cumbria > Middlesceugh > Milburn Grange, Cumbria > Millhouse, Castle Sowerby > Mislet > Mislet Cottage > Miteside, Cumbria > Miteside Halt (railway station) > Moor Row, Cumbria > Moorend, Thursby > Moorthwaite, Wigton > Netherby, Cumbria > Coop House, Netherby, Cumbria > Newbiggin, Kirkby Thore > Church of St Edmund, Newbiggin > Newbiggin Bridge, Newbiggin, Kirkby Thore > Newbiggin Hall, Cumbria > Newby Cross > Newlands Valley, Cumbria > Newlands Church and former School > Newlands Township, Cumberland, 1848 > Newlands, Castle Sowerby > Newton Field, Cumbria > Milestone at Newton Field > Nibthwaite > Northsceugh > Old Hutton, Cumbria > Church of St John the Baptist, Old Hutton > Orton Grange (near Carlisle) > Oulton, Cumbria > Overwater, Nenthead > Parkgate, Waverton > Old Milestone near Parkgate > Patton Bridge > Petteril Crook, Cumberland > Piel Island > Piel Castle > Ship Inn, Piel Island > Trinity House Pilot Houses, Piel Island > Plumpton Head > Port Carlisle > Rampside > Bow Windows Farm > Church of St Michael > Clarke's Hotel > Concle Inn > Lighthouse > Moorhead Cottages > Rampside Hall > Rampside, 1848 > Rash, Sedbergh > Rash Bridge > Raughton, Cumbria > Risehow, Cumbria > Old Milestone, Risehow > Rivers in Cumbria > Allonby Beck (aka Crookhurst Beck & Westnewton Beck) > Argill Beck > Gatesgarthdale Beck > Halls Beck > Mill Beck (Poaka Beck) > Raven Beck > River Annas > River Bela > Stainton Beck - St. Sunday's Beck > River Brathay > Great Langdale Beck > River Calder (Cumbria) > Cald Beck / Whelpo Beck > Gill Beck > Worm Gill > River Caldew > Roe Beck / River Roe > River Cocker > Bitter Beck > River Derwent (Cumbria) > Broughton Beck > River Marron > Lostrigg Beck > River Duddon > Moasdale Beck > Tarn Beck > River Eamont > Aira Beck > Elder Beck (river) > Fusedale Beck > Glenridding Beck > Red Tarn Beck > Swart Beck > River Eden (Cumbria) > Cairn Beck > Cumwhitton Beck > Trout Beck (Cairn Beck) > Croglin Water > Briggle Beck > Stockdale Beck > Crowdundle Beck > Luz Beck > River Belah > River Petteril > Scandal Beck > Crooks Beck > Swindale Beck (Brough) > Trout Beck (Eden) > River Eea > Muddy Pool (stream) > Whitestone Beck > River Ehen > Croasdale Beck > River Keekle > River Liza, Cumbria > River Ellen > River Esk ('the Border Esk') > River Lyne (Cumbria) > Black Lyne > Bailey Water > White Lyne > River Esk ('the Cumbrian Esk') > River Mite > River Glenderamackin > Mosedale Beck > River Greta (Cumbria) > River Irt > River Irthing > Butter Burn > Kingwater (river) > River Gelt > River Kent (Cumbria) > River Giplin > River Gowan (Cumbria) > River Mint (Cumbria) > Bannisdale Beck > River Sprint > River Winster > Arndale Beck > River Leith (Cumbria) > River Leven (Cumbria) > River Crake > Church Beck > Torver Beck > Summers Cove Beck > Tranearth Beck > Yewdale Beck > River Lowther (Cumbria) > River Lune (Cumbria) > Birk Beck > Fairmile Beck > River Rawthey > Backside Beck > Clough River > River Dee, Cumbria > Cowgill Beck > Roundthwaite Beck > River Lyvennet > River Nent > River Rothay > Rydal Beck > Scandale Beck > River Wampool > River Waver > Roa Island > Barrow Lifeboat Station > Boat Club > Causway > Former Roa Island Hotel > Jetty for Piel Island Ferry > Marine Terrace > Piel Street > Roa Island House > Trinity Terrace > Watch Tower & Former Customs House > Rockcliffe Cross > Castletown House > Entrance Gateway, Castletown > Entrance Lodge, Castletown > The Esk Boathouse > Roebanks > Rusland Cross > Salter and Eskett > Sandford > Sandraw > Old Milestone by Sandraw Bridge > Sandside, Cumbria > Sandwith > Santon Bridge > Bridge Inn, Santon Bridge > Santon, Cumbria > Satterthwaite > Satterthwaite Parish Room > Schools in Cumbria > Sizergh > Sizergh Castle > The Great Barn, Sizergh Castle > Smardale > Limekilns near Smardalegill Viaduct > Scandal Beck Ford > Smardale Bridge over Scandal Beck > Smardale Gill Viaduct > Smardale Hall > Smardale Station > Smardale Township, 1848 > Smardale Viaduct > Soulby (Kirkby Stephen) > St Helens > Old Milestone, St Helens > South Stainmore > St John's in the Vale > Bram Crag farmhouse > Southernby > Packhorse Bridge by Bram Crag > Staffield > Sosgill Bridge > Staffield Hall > The Nunnery, Staffield > St John's Church > Stainton > Stainmore > Bridge at Stainton Stainton End > Stainton > Stainburn > Dalemain > The Grounds of Dalemain > Stainton with Adgarley > Pack Horse Bridge, Stainton > Stony Head, Orton > Stott Park > Stott Park Bobbin Mill > Sunbiggin, Cumbria > Swarthmoor > Stainton Aqueduct > Swarthmoor Hall > The Stainton Institute > Thomas Close, Skelton > Staveley-in-Cartmel > Threapland > Church of St Mary, Staveley-in-Cartmel > Troutbeck (Windermere) > Jesus Church, Troutbeck > Staveley-in-Westmorland > Mortal Man Inn, Troutbeck > Church of St James, Staveley > Old Barn, Townend > St Margaret's Tower, Staveley > Townend, Troutbeck > War Memorial, Staveley-in-Westmorland > Stone House, Upper Dentdale > Waitby > Artengill Viaduct > Old School, Waitby > Sportsmans Inn, Upper Dentdale > Waitby Castle (Romano-British settlement) > Stonehouse Bridge, Dentdale > Waitby Township, 1848 > Storth > Waitham Hill > Tebay > Walby > Castle Howe motte and bailey castle > Walney Island > Church of St. James, Tebay > Biggar Village, Walney Island > Lunes Bridge, Tebay > North Scales, Walney Island > Tebay Township, 1884 > North Walney Nature Reserve > South Walney Nature Reserve > Temple Sowerby > Temple Sowerby CE Primary School > Vickerstown > Church of St Mary, Vickerstown > The Kings Arms, Temple Sowerby > Victory Memorial Hall > Walney Island, 1848 > Walney Lighthouse > Threlkeld > Church of St Mary, Threlkeld > Warcop > Church of St. Columba, Warcop > Dobson's Bridge, nr Threlkeld > Horse & Farrier Inn, Threlkeld > Old Bridge, Warcop > Salutation Inn, Threlkeld > War Memorial, Warcop > Threlkeld Primary School > Warcop Railway Station > Signal box, Warcop Station > Threlkeld, 1848 > War Memorial, Threlkeld > West Woodside > Fiddleback Farmhouse > Milestone near West Woodside > Westmorland (ancient county)

Westmorland (ancient county)


Westmorland was an administrative county in north west England from 1889 until 1974, when it became part of the newly formed county of Cumbria. The area of Westmorland now forms parts of the South Lakeland and Eden districts of Cumbria.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

WESTMORLAND, an inland county, bounded on the north and west by Cumberland, on the south-west and south by Lancashire, on the south-east and east by Yorkshire, and on the north-east by the county of Durham. It extends from 54° 11' 30 to 54° 42' 30 (N. Lat.), and from 2° 20' to 3° 12' (W. Lon.), and includes an area of 763 square miles, or 488,320 statute acres. There are 10,849 inhabited houses, 875 uninhabited, and 39 in course of erection; and the population amounts to 56,454, of whom 28,213 are males, and 28,241 females. The ancient British inhabitants of the territory included within the limits of this county were of two tribes of the Brigantes, called the Voluntii and the Sistuntii, the former occupying the eastern parts of it, the latter the western. Under the Roman dominion it was included in the division called Maxima Caesariensis; and, at the period of the Saxon heptarchy, formed part of the extensive and powerful kingdom of Northumbria. From its Saxon ' conquerors it received the name of West-moringa-land, or "land of the western moors," since contracted into Westmorland. The county is partly in the diocese of Chester, and partly in that of Carlisle, in the province of York, but under the act 6th and 7th of William IV., cap. 77, will be wholly included in the latter diocese. The total number of parishes in it is thirty-two. Its great civil divisions are the two baronies of Kendal and Westmorland, the former including the wards of Kendal and Lonsdale, and the latter, which has in later ages been occasionally styled the "barony of Appleby," and is often called the "Bottom of Westmorland," comprising the East and West wards. In the county are the newly-enfranchised borough and market-town of Kendal, the small market-town and seaport of Milnthorpe, the thriving town of Bowness, and the market-towns of Ambleside, Appleby, Brough, Burton-in-Kendal, Kirkby-Lonsdale, Kirkby-Stephen, and Orton. Two knights are returned to parliament for the shire, and one representative for the borough of Kendal. It is included in the Northern circuit: the assizes, and the Easter and Michaelmas quarter-sessions, are held at Appleby, and the Epiphany and Midsummer sessions at Kendal.

The county is in general so mountainous, that the soil of a great portion of it must necessarily for ever remain undisturbed by the plough. The mountains are separated by pleasant and fertile valleys, requiring only a greater number of trees and hedge-rows to compete the beauty of their appearance. The most extensive vales are, that of the Eden, reaching from about ten miles south-east of Kirkby-Stephen, north-westward by Appleby, towards Penrith; and that of Kendal, more particularly southward and westward of that town. Loose masses of rock, of various sizes and descriptions, are scattered over all the lower hills and the champaign parts of the county; and on the southern side of Shap, along the road towards Kendal, different streams, and especially Wasdale-beck, force their passage amidst stupendous blocks of rounded granite. Cross-fell, at the north-eastern extremity of the county, which is the highest of the chain of mountains extending along the eastern borders of Westmorland and Cumberland, rises to the height of 2901 feet above the level of the sea. The other greatest elevations, included wholly or partly within the county, are Helvellyn, 3055 feet high; Bowfell, 2911 feet high 3 Rydal-head, about the same height as the last-mentioned; and the High-street, about 2730 feet high, which derives its name from an ancient road along its summit, and on which the people of the neighbourhood have horse-races and other sports, on July 10th. All these mountains command magnificent prospects; from Rydal-head are seen Windermere, Elterwater, Grasmere, and Rydal-water.

The beautiful lakes that adorn the numerous romantic and sequestered dales of Westmorland and Cumberland, have afforded an abundant theme for description, and have been the subjects of some of the finest efforts of landscape painting. The principal in Westmorland are, Ullswater, Windermere, Grasmere, Hawswater, Elter-water, Broad-water, and Rydal-water. Ullswater, on the north-western side of the county, and of which the higher part is wholly within the limits of Westmorland, while its lower part is divided between it and Cumberland, is about nine miles long, its breadth varying from a quarter of a mile to two miles, and its depth from six to thirty-five fathoms: the lower end is called Ousemere. The shores of the lake are extremely irregular, and from its making different bold sweeps, only parts of it are seen at once. The lower extremity is bordered by pleasant inclosures, interspersed with woods and cottages, scattered on the sides of gently rising hills; advancing upwards towards Patterdale, the inclosures are of smaller extent, and the hills more lofty and rugged, until their aspect becomes wholly wild and mountainous. In its highest expanse are a few small rocky islands. Place-fell, on the east, projects its barren and rugged base into the lake; and on the west rise several rocky hills, one of which, called Stybarrow Crag, is clothed with oaks and birches: these and the other surrounding hills are furrowed with glens and the channels of torrents, causing remarkable echoes. When the sky is uniformly overcast and the air perfectly calm, this lake, in common with some others, has its surface overspread by a smooth oily appearance, provincially called a keld, which term is also applied to the places that are longest in freezing. It contains abundance of fine trout, perch, skellies, and eels; some char; and a species of trout, called grey trout, almost peculiar to it, which frequently attains the weight of 30lb.

Windermere, is ten miles and a half long, and lies on the western border of the county, which it separates, for the greater part of its length, from Lancashire, in which county its lower extremity is wholly included. Its breadth is from one to two miles, and its area is computed at 2574 acres, including thirteen islands occupying a space of about 40 acres, the largest of which, called Curwen's Isle, contains 27 acres. The Westmorland margin of the lake is bordered by inclosures rising gently from the water's edge, adorned with numerous woody and rocky knolls of various elevations and sizes; the Lancashire shore is higher and more abrupt, and is clothed with wood, though not to the summit. A simple magnificence is the chief characteristic of the surrounding scenery. The fisheries, which are rented of the crown, are for common and grey trout, pike, perch, skellies, eels, and more especially for char, the most remarkable produce of the lake, of which there are two sorts, called, from the difference of their colour, silver char and golden char; the former is considered the more delicious, and is potted for the London market. Great numbers of water-fowl resort to this lake, and to a few of the smaller ones.

Grasmere is a particularly beautiful lake, at the lower end of a valley bearing its name; in the middle of it is a small island, and its head is adorned by the church and village of Grasmere. Hawswater, situated in a narrow vale called Mardale, is three miles long, and from a quarter to half a mile broad. About the centre it is nearly divided into two parts by a low inclosed promontory, and the mountains which environ its head are steep, bold, and craggy, but are skirted at their feet by inclosures. On its northern side is Naddle Forest, a steep mountainous ridge in the form of a bow, in which rises Wallow Craig, a mass of upright rocks. The other portions of its scenery are equally interesting. The char and trout of the lake are in great esteem; and besides these, it produces perch, skellies, and eels. Elter-water, at the bottom of Great Langdale, and which is rather larger than Grasmere, is inferior to none of the smaller lakes in the variety and beauty of its scenery. Broadwater, about a mile above the head of Ullswater, is environed by high and rugged mountains, and is viewed to great advantage from a spot called Hartsop-high-field. Rydal-water, on the course of the Rothay, is shallow, and has several picturesque woody islands; it is about a mile in length. The principal of the smaller lakes, commonly called tarns, are, Ais-water, a mile south-west of Hartsop, and about a mile northward of which is Angletarn; Grisedale-tarn, at the head of Grisedale; Redtarn, under the eastern side of Helvellyn, and westward of which lies Kepel-cove-tarn; Red-tarn and Smallwater, at the head of Riggindale, the highest branch of Mardale; Skeggles-water, in the mountains between Long Sleddale and Kentmere; Kentmere, in the valley of the Kent; Sunbiggin-tarn, in the parish of Orton; and Whinfell-tarn, in the parish of Kendal. Along the chain of mountains extending from Cross-fell, in a southern direction, to Stainmore near Brough, a distance of about twenty miles, occurs a singular phenomenon called the Helm Wind, which blows at various times of the year, but generally from October to April.

Notwithstanding the inclosures and improvements that have taken place since the commencement of the present century, the cultivated lands hardly amount to one-half the whole extent of the county. The greater part, amounting to about three-fourths, of the inclosed lands, are always under grass, particularly in high situations; and as the farmers, during the summer months, can keep almost any quantity of cattle on the commons, &c, at a very little expense, their chief object is to get as much hay as possible from their inclosed lands against the approach of winter. There are few counties where, in proportion to their size, more milch-cows are kept than in this, and where the produce of the dairy is an object of greater importance: large quantities of butter are sent to the London market, in firkins containing 561b. net. Not less than 10,000 Scotch cattle are annually brought to Brough Hill fair, whence great numbers are driven towards the rich pastures of the more southern portions of England, though many are retained and fattened in Westmorland.

In some parts, considerable tracts are covered with coppices, consisting chiefly of oak, ash, alder, birch, and hazel. These underwoods, particularly in the barony of Kendal, are usually cut every sixteenth year, hardly any trees being left for timber; and their produce is converted partly into hoops, which are made in the county, and sent coastwise to Liverpool; and partly into charcoal, which is in demand for the neighbouring ironworks. Timber is chiefly found in the plantations, which are numerous and, at Whinfield Forest and around Lowther Hall, extensive: the larch is generally the most flourishing tree, though indeed most of the woods spring with a degree of vigour hardly to be expected from the bleak and exposed situations which many of them occupy. The extensive wastes are partly subject to common right, constituting a great part of the value of many farms, to which they are attached; and partly in severalties and stinted pastures. A few of them consist of commons in low situations, possessing a good soil; but by far the greater number are mountainous tracts, called by the inhabitants fells and moors, which produce little besides a very coarse grass, heath and fern, provincially called ling and brackens: the soil of these is generally a poor hazel-mould and peat-moss. The higher wastes are principally applied to the pasturage of large flocks of sheep, which, during the winter, are all brought down to the inclosures: by the end of April they are sent back to the wastes. Numerous herds of black-cattle are likewise to be seen on the lower commons: a few are of the breed of the county; the rest are Scotch.

The mineral productions are various, and some of them valuable. They consist chiefly of lead, coal, marble, slate (the finest in England), limestoue, freestone, and gypsum; and every part of the county presents an interesting field of study to the geologist. The principal Lead mines are those at Dunfell, which are considered to be nearly exhausted; at Dufton, where they are unusually rich; at Eagle Crags, in Grisedale, a branch of the vale of Patterdale; and at Greenside, near Patterdale. A small quantity of this metal is also procured in the hills above Staveley, and large loose masses of ore have been found in different other situations: a very rich and productive vein at Hartley ceased to be worked about the commencement of the last century. Copper has been wrought to a limited extent at Limbrig, Asby, and Rayne, and is obtained in small quantities in many other parts. Coal is neither abundant nor of good quality; it is wrought only in the south-eastern extremity of the county, on Stainmore heath, and in the neighbourhood of Shap. In the vale of Mallerstang a kind of small coal, chiefly used for burning limestone, is procured. Bordering upon the river Kent, about three miles below Kendal, a bed of beautiful Marble, of a white colour, veined with red and other tints, was discovered in 1793, and quarries were immediately opened. Near Ambleside, and between that town and Penrith, is found a marble of a dusky-green colour, veined with white; a black sort is obtained near Kirkby-Lonsdale, and another species at Kendal Fell.

The western mountains produce vast quantities of Slate, various kinds of which are used in the surrounding districts for covering buildings, while the best slates are conveyed by sea to Liverpool, London, Lynn, Hull, &c, and by land into Cumberland, Northumberland, Durham, and Lancashire. The general colour is blue of many different shades, sometimes having a greenish cast: one kind is purple; and another, used to make writing slates, is nearly black. The best sorts are obtained at the greatest depth. The prevailing strata in the southern and eastern parts of the county are Limestone and Freestone, together with a soft laminous schistus, horizontally stratified. The western and northwestern mountains, besides the slate before mentioned, consist of masses of the trap genera, chiefly basalt, commonly called Whinstone. Around the head of Windermere, and for some distance eastward of it, lies a straturn of dark grey limestone, which is occasionally burned into lime, or polished for tomb-stones and chimneypieces. Wasdale Crag is a mass of coarse flesh-coloured granite; and higher up the dale, a greenish-coloured granite, of a finer and harder texture, is found: a very coarse species of granite appears in many other parts of the county. A vein of red porphyry crosses the road between Kendal and Shap; and at Acorn-bank, near Kirkby, is one of gypsum, which is used for laying floors. In many parts are detached round pieces of blue ragstone, of granite, and of a very hard composite stone, called by the masons callierde. In Knipe Scar are found talky fibrous bodies, opaque and of an ash colour, which burn for a considerable time without any sensible diminution. Fossil remains exist only in the strata of the southern and eastern parts of the county: coralloid bodies are very common, some of them beautifully variegated.

The manufactures are of minor importance, consisting chiefly of coarse woollen-cloths, called Kendal cottons (supposed to be corrupted from coatings), linseys, knitstockings, waistcoat-pieces, flannels, and leather. Nor is the commerce extensive: the principal exports are, the coarse cloths manufactured at Kendal, stockings, slates, tanned-hides, gunpowder, hoops, charcoal, hams, bacon, wool, sheep, and cattle; and the imports, grain, and Scotch cattle and sheep. Much fish from the lakes is sent to Lancaster and Liverpool. The principal rivers are the Eden, Eamont, Lowther, Lune, and Kent. The county derives considerable benefit from the Lancaster canal, which, commencing at Kendal, proceeds for some distance parallel with the course of the Kent, and afterwards across that of the Betha, to the vicinity of Burton, where it enters Lancashire, in the southern part of which county it communicates with the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The Lancaster and Carlisle railway runs the whole extent of the county, from south to north; it enters at Burton-in-Kendal, passes by Milnthorpe, Kendal, Orton, and Shap, and quits the county at Brougham, near Penrith, where it crosses the river Eamont. Near Kendal a branch commences, which terminates at Windermere.

A singular collection of huge stones, called Penhurrock, now nearly destroyed, and a Druidical circle of stones near Oddendale, both in the parish of CrosbyRavensworth, are supposed to be British. To the Britons are also referred, the rude circle of stones at the head of the stream called the Ellerbeck; that on the waste of Moorduvock, called the Druid's Cross; that of Mayborough, on a gentle eminence on the western side of Eamont bridge; and that about a mile north-eastward of Shap, called the Druid's Temple. Other relics of this people exist, including several cairns and encampments. Westmorland was traversed by a variety of Roman roads of minor importance, and contained the stations of Verteræ, which has been fixed at Brough; Brovacum, at Brougham Castle; Galacum, at the head of Windermere; and another at Natland, the name of which is uncertain. A branch of the great Watling-street ran through it from Stainmore to Brougham Castle, and several parts of the road, between Brough and KirkbyThore, are still tolerably perfect. From this, the Maidenway branched off at Kirkby-Thore, and passed over the lower extremity of Cross-fell, by Whitley Castle, into Northumberland: the road may still be clearly traced, being uniformly about seven yards broad, and composed of large loose stones. Other vestiges of Roman occupancy are very numerous, including altars, urns, coins, bricks, tessellated pavements, foundations of buildings, &c, which have been found on the sites of the stations, and elsewhere. In the county are, a Roman camp, about 100 yards southward of Borrowbridge, in Borrowdale, now called Castlehows; other camps called Castlesteads and Coney-beds, near the station at Natland; and several between Crackenthorpe and Cross-fell; besides Maiden Castle, upon Stainmore, a very strong square fort, about five miles from Brough; and some other remarkable intrenchments. Near Shap is a stupendous monument of antiquity called Carl-lofts, supposed to be Danish, consisting of two long lines of huge obelisks of unhewn granite, with different other masses of the same material, arranged in various forms.

The religious houses were, the Premonstratensian abbey of Shap, and a monastery of White friars at Appleby, with an hospital for lepers near Kirkby-inKendal: there are some remains of Shap Abbey. The remains of fortified buildings are numerous and extensive, comprising the ruins of the castles of Appleby, Beetham, Brough, Brougham, Bewley, Howgill, Kendal, and Pendragon; Arnside Tower, Helsback Tower, and several other ancient castellated buildings. Of ancient mansions, the most remarkable specimens are Sizergh Hall and Levens Hall, together with the ruins of Old Calgarth Hall and Preston Hall. Of the more modern seats of the nobility and gentry, those most worthy of notice are, Lowther Castle, the residence of the Earl of Lonsdale, lord-lieutenant of the county; and Appleby Castle, that of the Earl of Thanet, hereditary high sheriff. The small freeholds are very numerous. The inhabitants, owing to their secluded situation, have, until recently, been distinguished for their adherence to several antiquated customs. There are mineral springs of various qualities; the principal being that near the village of Clifton, at which a great number of people assemble on the 1st of May, to drink its waters; that called Gonsdike, a little south of Rounthwaite, which continually casts up small metallic spangles; Shap wells, much resorted to in the summer season by persons afflicted with scorbutic complaints, and by lead-miners from Alston and Arkingarthdale; the numerous petrifying springs on the borders of the river Kent; and a petrifying well in the cave called Pate-hole. The most remarkable cascades on the many mountain streams are, Levens Park waterfall, on the Kent; another on the Betha, below Betham—the Caladupæ of Camden; and Gillforth spout, in Long Sleddale, which has an unbroken fall of 100 feet. Pate-hole is a very curious and extensive cavern in a limestone rock near Great Asby, from which, in rainy seasons, issue powerful streams of water. Westmorland gives the title of Earl to the Fane family; and Baron Vipont of Westmorland is one of the titles borne by the noble family of Clifford.

Cumbria Bowness-on-Windermere Kendal Kirkby Stephen Ambleside Appleby-in-Westmorland Three Shires Stone, Wrynose Pass Cumberland (ancient county) Kirkby Lonsdale Brampton, Eden Milnthorpe Westmorland, Parishes and Townships, 1848
from https://openlibrary.org/books…
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical …

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Milestone north of Milnthorpe

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Westmoreland

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 444 of 'A Pocket Topography and Gazetteer of England. ... Illustrated by maps of the English counties, and vignettes of cathedrals, etc'

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
County boundary stone, A6070

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Ambleside
  Co-Curate Page
Ambleside
- Overview About Ambleside Map Street View The town of Ambleside is located in the South Lakeland district of Cumbria and situated at the head of Lake Windermere. Ambleside is a …
Bowness-on-Windermere
  Co-Curate Page
Bowness-on-Windermere
- Overview About Bowness-on-Windermere Map Street View   Bowness-on-Windermere is a town in South Lakeland, Cumbria, England. Due to its position on the banks of Windermere, the town has become a …
Kendal
  Co-Curate Page
Kendal
- Overview About Kendal Map Street View   Kendal, anciently known as Kirkby in Kendal or Kirkby Kendal, is a market town and civil parish within the South Lakeland District of …
Appleby-in-Westmorland
  Co-Curate Page
Appleby-in-Westmorland
- Overview About Appleby Map Street View   Appleby-in-Westmorland is a market town and civil parish in the Eden district, in the county of Cumbria, in North West England. It is …
Kirkby Lonsdale
  Co-Curate Page
Kirkby Lonsdale
- Overview About Kirkby Lonsdale Map Street View Kirkby Lonsdale is a market town in the South Lakeland district of Cumbria, located about 10 miles south of Kendal. St Mary's Church …
Milnthorpe
  Co-Curate Page
Milnthorpe
- Overview About Milnthorpe Map Street View   Milnthorpe is a large village and electoral ward within the South Lakeland district of Cumbria, England. Historically part of Westmorland and straddling the …
Kirkby Stephen
  Co-Curate Page
Kirkby Stephen
- Overview About Kirkby Stephen Map Street View   Kirkby Stephen is a civil parish and small market town in Cumbria, in North West England, historically it was part of Westmorland. …
Brampton, Eden
  Co-Curate Page
Brampton, Eden
- Overview About Brampton Map Street View Brampton is a village in the Eden district of Cumbria, just over 2 miles north of Appleby-in-Westmorland and 1 mile south east of the …
Three Shires Stone, Wrynose Pass
  Co-Curate Page
Three Shires Stone, Wrynose Pass
- Overview Map Street View The Three Shires Stone, at the top of Wrynose Pass near Little Langdale, marks the historic boundary of the old counties of Lancashire, Cumberland and Westmorland. …

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



Cumbria


Brigsteer


Church of St John, Helsington


Brough, Cumbria


Brough Castle


Church of St Michael, Brough


Brough Sowerby


Brougham, Cumbria


Brougham Hall


Broughton Beck


Broughton-in-Furness


Broughton-in-Furness, 1848


Burnbanks, Cumbria


Burton-in-Kendal


Burton House, Burton-in-Kendal


Church of St James, Burton-in-Kendal


Market Cross, Burton-in-Kendal


Memorial Hall, Burton-in-Kendal


Busk, Kirkoswald


Butterwick, Cumbria


Calthwaite


Cartmel, Cumbria


Cartmel Priory


Cartmel Fell


Church of St Anthony, Cartmel Fell


Casterton, Cumbria


Casterton Grange


Casterton Hall


Casterton Stone Circle


Church of Holy Trinity, Casterton


Old Milestone, by Casterton Grange


The Pheasant Inn, Casterton


Toll Bar Cottage, Casterton


Catterlen, Cumbria


Chapel Stile, Cumbria


Church of the Holy Trinity, Chapel Stile


Langdale War Memorial


Clappersgate, Cumbria


Clarghyll


Clarghyll Colliery


Clarghyll Hall


Milestone, Clargillhead


Clawthorpe


Cliburn, Cumbria


Church of St Cuthbert, Cliburn


Cliburn Mill bridge


Clifton, Cumbria


Church of St Cuthbert, Clifton


Clough (Garsdale)


Clough Bridge (Garsdale)


Cockley Beck, Cumbria


Cockley Beck Bridge


Colby, Cumbria


Colthouse


Quaker Meeting House, Colthouse


Colton, Cumbria


Holy Trinity Church, Colton


Coniston


Brantwood


Lodge and Stables, Brantwood


William Linton at Brantwood


Church of St Andrew, Coniston


Coniston Hall


Donald Campbell Memorial, Coniston


Grave of Donald Campbell, Coniston


John Ruskin School, Coniston


Monk Coniston


Ruskin Memorial, Coniston


Ruskin Museum, Coniston


War Memorial, Coniston


Cowan Head


Cowgill, Cumbria


Church of St John, Cowgill


Cowgill Bridge


Dockra Bridge


Ewegales Bridge


Crackenthorpe


Croglin, Cumbria


Church of John the Baptist, Croglin


Crook, Cumbria


Church of St Catherine, Crook, Kendal


Sun Inn, Crook


Tower of Old Parish Church, Crook


Crosby Garrett


Church of St Andrew, Crosby Garrett


Crosby Garrett Viaduct


Crosby Ravensworth


Charles II Monument, Crosby Ravenswoth Fell


Church of St Lawrence, Crosby Ravensworth


Crosscrake, Cumbria


Church of St Thomas, Crosscrake


Crosthwaite, Cumbria


Church of St Mary, Crosthwaite


Cowmire Hall


Culgaith


Church of All Saints, Culgaith


War Memorial, Culgaith


Dacre, Cumbria


Church of St Andrew, Dacre


Dacre Castle


Dale, Ainstable


Dalton, Cumbria


Dalton Old Hall


Dalton-in-Furness


Church of St Mary, Dalton-in-Furness


Dalton Castle


Former Library Building, Dalton-in-Furness


Library, Dalton-in-Furness


War Memorial, Dalton-in-Furness


Dendron, Cumbria


Church of St Matthew, Dendron


Dent, South Lakeland


Adam Sedgwick Fountain, Dent


Church Bridge, Dent


Church of St Andrew, Dent, South Lakeland


Dent Memorial Hall


Sun Inn, Dent


The George and Dragon, Dent


War Memorial, Dent


Dillicar, Cumbria


Dockray (Eden)


Matterdale Church


Dufton


Church of St Cuthbert, Dufton


Dufton Hall


Dufton with Knock Methodist Chapel


Fountain, Dufton - Village Green


Stag Inn, Dufton


Youth Hostel, Dufton


Edenhall


Church of St Cuthbert, Edenhall


Edenhall Parish, 1848


Ellonby, Cumbria


Elterwater


Elterwater Bridge


Elterwater Cafe


The Britannia Inn, Elterwater


Endmoor, Cumbria


Millennium Clock, Endmoor


Far Arnside


Far Sawrey


Claife Station, Far Sawrey


Farleton, Cumbria


Lancaster Canal Aqueduct, Farleton


Field Broughton


Church of St Peter, Field Broughton


Finsthwaite


Church of St Peter, Finsthwaite


The Spire, near Finsthwaite


Firbank, Cumbria


Church of St John the Evangelist, Firbank


Flitholme


Flookburgh


Church of St John the Baptist, Flookburgh


Forest Hall, Kendal


Galligill, Alston


Gamblesby, Penrith


Old Church of St John, Gamblesby


Village Stocks, Gamblesby


Garrigill


Ashgill Bridge over Ashgill Force


Ivy House Farm, Garrigill


Redwing Chapel, near Garrigill


St Johns' Church, Garrigill


Tynebottom Mine, near Garrigill


Garsdale ('The Street')


Church of St John the Baptist, Garsdale


Garsdale Street Chapel


Garsdale Head


Dandrymire Viaduct


Garsdale Railway Station


Ruswarp Statue, Garsdale Station


Signal Box, Garsdale Railway Station


Railway Bridge, Garsdale Head


Glassonby


Addingham Cross


Church of St Michael, Glassonby


Gleaston


Gleaston Castle


Gleaston, 1848


Grange-over-Sands


Bandstand, Park Road Gardens, Grange-over-Sands


Church of St Paul, Grange-over-Sands


Clock Tower, Grange-over-Sands


Grange Lido


Grange-Over-Sands Railway Station


Hampsfell Hospice, Grange-over-Sands


Netherwood Hotel, Grange-over-Sands


Victorial Hall (Council Offices), Grange-over-Sands


War Memorial, Grange-over-Sands


Grasmere


Brimmer Head Farmhouse, near Grasmere


Church of St Oswald, Grasmere


Dove Cottage and Wordsworth Museum


Grasmere Lakeland Sports and Show


The Travellers Rest, nr Grasmere


War Memorial, Grasmere


Grayrigg


Church of St John the Evangelist, Grayrigg


Graythwaite


Graythwaite Hall


Gardens at Graythwaite Hall


Graythwaite Low Hall


Great Asby


Asby Endowed School


Church of St Peter, Great Asby


Great Asby Parish, 1848


Great Blencow, Cumbria


Spire House, near Great Blencow


Great Langdale


Great Musgrave


Church of St Theobald, Great Musgrave


Musgrave Bridge


Great Ormside


Church of St James, Great Ormside


Cross, St James' Churchyard, Great Ormside


Ormside Hall


Ormside Parish, 1848


Ormside Viaduct


Roadside Preaching Cross, Great Ormside


Great Salkeld


Church of St Cuthbert, Great Salkeld


War Memorial, Great Salkeld


Great Strickland


Church of St Barnabas, Great Strickland


Great Urswick


Church of St Mary and St Michael, Great Urswick


Greenodd


Greystoke


Bunkers Hill (farmhouse), Greystoke


Church of St Andrew, Greystoke


Duke of Norfolk Bridge, Greystoke


Fort Putnam (farmhouse), Greystoke


Greystoke Castle


Storch Bridge, Greystoke


Village Cross, Greystoke


Greystoke Gill


Grizedale, Cumbria


Meta Culpa (sculpture)


Gullom Holme


Hackthorpe


Hale, Cumbria


Halfpenny, Cumbria


Old Milepost, A65, Halfpenny


Hall Dunnerdale


Dunnerdale Hall


Haresceugh


Hartley, Cumbria


Hartley Castle


Merrygill Viaduct


Podgill Viaduct


Haverthwaite


Church of St Anne, Haverthwaite


Haverthwaite Parish, 1905


Haverthwaite Station


The Anglers Arms


War Memorial, Haverthwaite


Hawkshead


Church of St Michael and All Angels, Hawkshead


Hawkshead Esthwaite Primary School


Hawkshead Grammar School - Museum


Old Courthouse, Hawkshead


War Memorial, Hawkshead


Hazelslack


Hazelslack Tower


Helton, Cumbria


Helton Methodist Chapel


Heversham, Cumbria


Church of St Peter, Heversham


High Casterton


Old Manor, High Casterton


High Hesket


Church of St Mary, High Hesket


Parker Family Vault, High Hesket


High Hesket CE Primary School


Salutation Inn, High Hesket


War Memorial, High Hesket


Hincaster


Hincaster Hall


Hincaster Tunnel


Eastern end of Hincaster Tunnel


Horse Path, Hincaster Tunnel


Western end of Hincaster Tunnel


Holme, Cumbria


Church of the Holy Trinity, Holme, Cumbria


War Memorial, Holme, Cumbria


Howtown, Cumbria


Hutton, Cumbria


Hutton John, Cumbria


Hutton Roof (Penrith)


Hutton Roof (South Lakeland)


Church of St. John, Hutton Roof, South Lakeland


War Memorial, Hutton Roof (South Lakeland)


Ings, Cumbria


Church of St Anne, Ings


Ireleth


Church of St Peter, Ireleth


Ivegill


Packhorse Bridge, Ivegill


Johnby


Johnby Hall


Kaber, Cumbria


Keisley


Kendal


Abbot Hall Art Gallery, Kendal


Castle Dairy, Kendal


Church of St Thomas, Kendal


Church of the Holy Trinity, Kendal


Friends' Meeting House, Kendal


Holy Trinity and St George RC Church, Kendal


Kendal at War


Kendal Castle


Kendal Library


Kendal Parish Hall


Kirkland, Kendal


War Memorial, Kendal


Kentmere


Church of St Cuthbert, Kentmere


Kentmere Hall


Kentmere, 1848


Killington, Cumbria


Church of All Saints, Killington


Killington Hall


Killington, Westmorland, 1884


Kirkby Lonsdale


Church of St Mary, Kirkby Lonsdale


Gazebo in Churchyard, St Mary's Church


Devil's Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale


Market Cross, Kirkby Lonsdale


Old Market Cross, Kirkby Lonsdale


Ruskin's View, Kirkby Lonsdale


The Radical Steps, Kirkby Lonsdale


Underley Hall


Kirkby Stephen


Black Bull Hotel, Kirkby Stephen


Church of St Stephen, Kirkby Stephen


Croglam Castle (Iron Age site)


Frank's Bridge, Kirkby Stephen


Kirkby Stephen at War


Kirkby Stephen East Station


Kirkby Stephen Grammar School


Kirkby Stephen Primary School


Kirkby Stephen Station


Signal box, Kirkby Steven Station


Nine Standards Rigg


Old Grammar School, Kirkby Stephen


Pennine Hotel, Kirkby Stephen


Stobars Hall, Kirkby Stephen


Temperance Hall, Kirkby Stephen


The Cloisters, Kirkby Stephen


War Memorial, Kirkby Stephen


Kirkby Thore


Church of St Michael, Kirkby Thore


Kirkby Thore School


Kirkby Thore Station


Roman milestone near Spitals Farm


Kirkby-in-Furness


Church of St Cuthbert, Kirkby-in-Furness


Kirkland (Culgaith)


Church of St Lawrence, Kirkland (Culgaith)


Kirkoswald, Cumbria


Bell Tower, Kirkoswald


Church of St Oswald, Kirkoswald


Kirkoswald Castle


Knock, Cumbria


Lamonby


Langrigg (Brough)


Old School, Langrigg (Brough)


Langwathby


Church of St Peter, Langwathby


Langwathby Railway Station


The Shepherd's Inn, Langwathby


War Memorial, Langwathby


Lazonby


Lazonby C.of E. School


Leadgate, Cumbria


Rotherhope Fell Mine


Leece, Cumbria


Levens


Church of St John the Evangelist, Levens


Levens Bridge


Levens Hall


Levens Hall Gounds


Levens Parish, 1848


War Memorial, Levens


Lindal-in-Furness


Church of St Peter, Lindal-in-Furness


War Memorial, Lindal-in-Furness


Lindale, Cumbria


Castle Head, near Lindale


Castle Head Bridge, Grange-over-Sands


Church of St Paul, Lindale


Monument to John Wilkinson, Lindale


Little Asby, Cumbria


Little Langdale


Slater's Bridge, Little Langdale


Three Shires Inn, Little Langdale


Little Musgrave


Little Salkeld, Cumbria


Little Salkeld Viaduct


Little Strickland


Church of St Mary, Little Strickland


Little Urswick


Little Urswick, 1848


Long Marton


Church of St Margaret and St James, Long Marton


Old Methodist Chapel, Long Marton


Longdales, Cumbria


Low Wood Village, Cumbria


Low Wood Bridge, over River Leven


Low Wood Gunpowder Works


Low Wray


Church of St Margaret, Low Wray


Lodge and gateway to Wray Castle


Wray Castle


Boathouse, Wray Castle


Jetty, Wray Castle


Summerhouse, Wray Castle


Lowgill, Cumbria


Lowgill Viaduct


Packhorse Bridge by Lowgill Viaduct


Lowick, Cumbria


Church of St Luke, Lowick, Cumbria


Lowther, Cumbria


Lowther Castle


Lupton, Cumbria


Lupton Tower


Mansriggs


Marton, Cumbria


Maulds Meaburn


Melkinthorpe


Melmerby, Cumbria


Church of St John the Baptist, Melmerby


Former Melmerby School (1862 - 1974)


Melmerby Hall


Melmerby Village Hall


Shepherd's Inn, Melmerby


Middleton, Cumbria


Church of Holy Ghost, Middleton, Cumbria


Middleton Bridge over the Rawthey


Middleton Hall, Middleton, Cumbria


Milburn, Cumbria


Church of St Cuthbert, Milburn


Howgill Castle, Milburn


Milburn Primary School


Milburn, Westmorland, 1848


Milnthorpe


Church of St Thomas, Milnthorpe


Dallam Tower, Milnthorpe


Market Cross, Milnthorpe


St Anthony's Tower, near Milnthorpe


War Memorial, Milnthorpe


Morland, Cumbria


Church of St Lawrence, Morland


Quakergate Cottage, Morland


Mosedale (village)


Mosedale Bridge


Quaker Meeting House, Mosedale


Motherby, Cumbria


Mungrisdale (village)


Church of St Kentigern, Mungrisedale


Murrah


Murton, Cumbria


Murton Hall, Cumbria


Narthwaite


Nateby, Cumbria


Black Bull Inn, Nateby


Nateby Methodist Church


Old School, Nateby


Natland


Church of St Mark, Natland


Hawes Bridge, Nantland


Post Office, Natland


Near Sawrey


Nenthall


Nent Hall County Hotel


War Memorial, Nenthall


Nenthead


Bainbridge Pump and Canopy, Nenthead


Church of St John the Evangelist, Nenthead


Nenthead Community Shop and Post Office


Killhope Cross, near Nenthead


Nenthead Mines


The Hive (former chapel), Nenthead


Nentsberry


Haggs Mine, Nentsberry


Nentsberry Chapel


New Hutton, Cumbria


Church of St Stephen, New Hutton


Greyhound Gatepiers to St Stephen's Church, New Hutton


Gatepiers to Former School, New Hutton


Holme Park, New Hutton


Newbiggin, Ainstable


Newbiggin, Dacre


Newbiggin, Furness


Newbiggin, Hutton Roof


Newbiggin-on-Lune


Newby Bridge, Cumbria


Newby Bridge (bridge)


Newby, Eden


Newby Hall (Newby, Eden)


Newton Reigny


Church of St John, Newton Reigny


Newton-in-Furness


North Stainmore, Cumbria


Orton, Eden


Church of All Saints, Orton, Eden


Osmotherley, Cumbria


Church of St John the Evangelist, Osmotherley, Cumbria


Ousby, Cumbria


Church of St Luke, Ousby Townhead


Outhgill, Cumbria


Church of St Mary, Outhgill


Pendragon Castle


Oxen Fell, Cumbria


Oxen Park, Cumbria


Glen View and Old Smithy, Oxen Park


Oxenholme


Patterdale


Church of St Patrick, Patterdale


Patterdale CofE Primary School


Patterdale with Hartsop, 1848


Pennington, Cumbria


Castle Hill, Pennington


Church of St Michael and the Holy Angels, Pennington, Cumbria


Penrith


Beacon Tower, Penrith


Brougham Castle


Brougham Castle Bridge


Burrowgate, Penrith


Church of St Andrew, Penrith


The Giant's Grave, Penrith


Clock Tower, Market Square, Penrith


Dockray Hall, Penrith


Friends' Meeting House, Penrith


Long Meg and Her Daughters (stone circle)


Penrith at War


Penrith Castle


Penrith Parish, 1848


Inglewood Forest


Penrith Station


Penrith, Historical Account, 1890


Plague stone, Penrith


Penruddock


Independent Chapel, Penruddock


Penruddock Primary School


Penruddock Station (1865 - 1972)


Petteril Green


Plumgarths


Plumpton, Cumbria


Church of St John the Evangelist, Plumpton


Pooley Bridge


Bridge (1764 - 2015), Pooley Bridge


Church of St Paul, Pooley Bridge


Preston Patrick


Church of St Patrick, Preston Patrick


Preston Patrick Hall


Quaker Meeting House, Preston Patrick


War Memorial, Preston Patrick


Raisbeck


Raise Hamlet, Alston


Ravenstonedale


Church of St Oswald, Ravenstonedale


Former Ravenstonedale Primary School


Ravenstonedale Parish, 1848


Tarn House, nr Ravenstonedale


Renwick, Cumbria


Church of All Saints, Renwick


Methodist Church, Renwick, Cumbria


Renwick Parish, 1848


Rookby, Cumbria


Roosebeck


Roundthwaite


Roundthwaite Farmhouse


Ruckcroft


Rusland


Church of St Paul, Rusland


Rusland Hall


Rusland Pool Bridge


Rydal, Cumbria


Church of St Mary, Rydal


Nab Cottage, by Rydal Water


Rydal Hall


Bridge over Rydal Beck, Rydal Hall


Rydal Hall - Gardens


Terrace, Rydal Hall Gardens


The Grot, Rydal Hall


Rydal Mount


Rydal Mount - Gardens


The Mount, Rydal


Sadgill


Sandside, Beetham


Scales, Cumbria


Seathwaite, South Lakeland


Church of the Holy Trinity, Seathwaite


Seathwaite Bridge


Sedbergh


Brigflatts Quaker Meeting House, Sedbergh


Church of St Andrew, Sedbergh


Ingmire Hall


Sedgwick


Sedgwick Aqueduct


Sedgwick Hill Bridge


Sedgwick House


Selside, Cumbria


Church of St Thomas, Selside


Selside Endowed CE Primary School


Selside Hall


Shap, Cumbria


Church of St Michael, Shap


Market Cross, Shap


Milepost near A6 turn to Sleddale


Shap Abbey (ruins)


Silverband


Skelsmergh


Skelsmergh Hall


Skelton, Cumbria


Church of St Michael, Skelton, Cumbria


War Memorial Lychgate, Skelton, Cumbria


Skelwith Bridge


Skelwith Bridge (bridge)


Skirwith


Church of St John, Skirwith


Slack Head, Beetham


Shrine to St Lioba, Slack Head


Sleagill


Sockbridge


Soulby (Penrith)


Sour Nook


Stainton, Carlisle


Stair, Cumbria


Stair Bridge over Newlands Beck


Stapleton, Cumbria


Church of St Mary, Stapleton, Cumbria


Steel Green, Haverigg


Former Hodbarrow Mining Company Offices


Stockdalewath


Stockdalewath Bridge


Stonethwaite


Borrowdale CE Primary School


Sunderland, Cumbria


Swinside, Cumbria


Swinside Stone Circle


Talkin, Cumbria


Talkin Church


Talkin Village Hall


Talkin, 1848


Tallentire, Cumbria


Old Chapel, Tallentire


Old School, Tallentire


Tallentire Hall


Tallentire Township, 1848


The Bush Inn, Tallentire


Tarraby


Thackthwaite


The Knowe, Bewcastle


The Knowe United Reformed Church


War Memorial, The Knowe, Bewcastle


Thornby, Cumbria


Thornhill, Cumbria


Thornthwaite, Cumbria


Church of St Mary, Thornthwaite


Thursby, Cumbria


Church of St Andrew, Thursby


Old Milestone, Thursby


The Ship Inn, Thursby


Thursby Methodist Chapel


Thursby Parish Hall


Thursby Primary School


War Memorial, Thusby


Thurstonfield


Thwaites, Cumbria


Church of St Anne, Thwaites


Torpenhow


Church of St Michael & All Angels, Torpenhow


Triermain


Triermain Castle (remains)


Uldale


Church of St James, Uldale


Ullermire


Ullock


Ulpha


Church of St John the Baptist, Ulpha


Ulpha Bridge


Unthank, Dalston


Upper Denton


Church of St Cuthbert, Upper Denton, Cumbria


Walton, Cumbria


Wampool


Wardhall Cottages


Wardhall Guards


Warwick Bridge, Cumbria


Church of St Mary and St Wilfred, Warwick Bridge


Holme Eden Abbey, Warwick Bridge, Cumbria


Bridge, Warwick Bridge


Warwick Bridge Township, 1848


Warwick-on-Eden, Carlisle


Church of St Leonard, Warwick-on-Eden


Warwick Hall, Warwick-on-Eden


Wasdale Head


Church of St Olaf, Wasdale Head


Packhorse Bridge, Wasdale Head


Wasdale Head Inn


Watchhill, Cumbria


Watendlath


Waverton, Cumbria


Old Milestone, Waverton


West Hall, Cumbria


Westlinton


Lynebank House, Westlinton


Westlinton Bridge


Wetheral


Church of the Holy Trinity and St Constantine, Wetheral


Whelpo


Whelpo Bridge


Whicham, Cumbria


Church of St Mary, Whicham


Whicham Parish, 1848


Whitbeck, Cumbria


Church of St Mary, Whitbeck


Whitbeck Parish, 1848


Whitehaven


Catherine Mill, Whitehaven


Christian Brethren Church, Whitehaven


Church of St James the Greater, Whitehaven


Corkickle


Former Methodist Church, Lowther St, Whitehaven


Former Sunday School & Meeting House, Scotch street, Whitehaven


Haig Colliery (1914 - 1986)


Haig Colliery Disaster, 1931


Hensingham


Hensingham Primary School


Saltom Pit, Whitehaven


Old Quay Lighthouse, Whitehaven


St Nicholas' Tower and Gardens, Whitehaven


The Kirk Mission Hall, Whitehaven


The Watch House, Old Quay, Whitehaven


West Pier Lighthouse, Whitehaven


Whitehaven at War


Whitehaven Castle


Whitehaven Library


Whitehaven, 1848


William Pit, Whitehaven


William Pit Disaster, 1947


Whitrigg, Bowness-on-Solway


Whitrigg, Wigton


Wiggonby, Cumbria


RAF Great Orton


Wigton, Cumbria


Church of St Mary, Wigton


Former King's Arms, Wigton


Friends Meeting House, Wigton


Hare & Hounds, Wigton


Moore Memorial Fountain, Wigton


Old Milestone, west of Wigton


Old Pump, Water Street, Wigton


Old Windmill, Wigton


Thomlinson Junior School, Wigton


Wigton at War


Wigton Market


Wigton, Woodside and Oulton War Memorial


Wilton, Cumbria


Workington


Church of St John, Workington


Church of St Michael, Workington


Cloffocks


Floods, November 2009, Workington


Workington Town RLFC


Workington, 1848


Schoose Farm and Windmill, Workington


Theatre Royal, Workington


Workington at War


Workington Hall (ruins)


Wreay, Cumbria


Church of St Mary, Wreay


Bewcastle Cross, St Mary's Church, Wreay


Enclosed graveyard, St Mary's Church, Wreay


Losh Mausoleum, St Mary's Church, Wreay


Mortuary Chapel, St Mary's Church, Wreay


Sundial, St Mary's Church, Wreay


Crook's Bridge, near Wreay


Historical Account of St Mary's Church, Wreay


Wreay, 1848


History of Schools in Wreay


Wreay Bridge


Wreay Cock-fighting Bell


Wreay CofE Primary School


Wreay Village Hall


Wythburn


Wythburn Church


Wythop Mill


Cumberland (ancient county)


Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848


Dodding Green


Catholic Chapel of SS Robert and Alice and Presbytery, Dodding Green


Drybeck


Drybeck Hall


Dubwath


Eamont Bridge


Eamont Bridge (bridge)


King Arthur's Round Table Henge


Mayburgh Henge


Elleray


Eskdale


Dalegarth Hall, Eskdale


Doctor Bridge, Eskdale


Murthwaite Halt (railway station), Eskdale


Ewegales


Fellside, Caldbeck


Fisherground, Eskdale


Fisherground Station


Flakebridge, Appleby-in-Westmorland


Old pump, Flakebridge


Flakebridge, Orton


Fold Gate, nr Hawkshead


Furness


Gaisgill, Cumbria


Gaitsgill, Cumbria


Primrose Hall, Gaitsgill


Garden Village, Carlisle


Garnett Bridge


Gawthrop


Gilderdale


Gilderdale Bridge


Gilderdale Halt


Gilderdale Railway Viaduct


Gilsland Spa


Gilsland Hall Hotel


Spa Villa, Gilsland Spa


Sulphur Spring Fountain, Gilsland Spa


Glenridding


Grange, Borrowdale


Church of the Holy Trinity, Grange


Harrington, Cumbria


Church of St Mary, Harrington


War Memorial, Harrington


Hartsop


Cow Bridge, near Hartsop


Myers Head Lead Mine


Haverbrack


Helbeck, Cumbria


Fox Tower, Helbeck


Helbeck Hall


High Biggins, Cumbria


Holmwrangle, Cumbria


How Hill, Castle Sowerby


Hunsonby, Cumbria


Hutton-in-the-Forest


Church of St James, Hutton-in-the-Forest


Hutton-in-the-Forest Grounds


Hutton-in-the-Forest Hall


Itonfield, Cumbria


Kelleth, Cumbria


Kelleth Old Hall


Kelton, Cumbria


Kelton Iron Ore Mine


Kents Bank, Cumbria


Kents Bank Railway Station


King's Meaburn


King's Meaburn Mill


Old School, King's Meaburn


Kingfield, Cumbria


St Nicholas Church, Nicholforest


Lake District


Bassenthwaite Lake


Boretree Tarn


Brotherswater


Kirkstone Pass


Buttermere (lake)


Coniston Water


Peel Island, Coniston Water


Crummock Water


Derwent Water (Lake District)


The Hundred Year Stone, Derwent Water


Elter Water


Ennerdale Water


Esthwaite Water


Grasmere Lake


Haweswater Reservoir


Mardale Green


Loughrigg Tarn


Loweswater (lake)


Holme Wood Bothy, Loweswater


Red Tarn


Rydal Water


Sprinkling Tarn


Tarn Hows


Thirlmere (lake)


Ullswater


Wastwater


Windermere (Lake)


Lakeside, Cumbria


Langton, Cumbria


Little Blencow, Cumbria


Blencow Bridge


Blencow Hall


Methodist Chapel, Little Blencow


Little Corby, Cumbria


Littlebeck, Cumbria


Longcroft, Bowness


Loughrigg, Ambleside


Loughrigg, St Bees


Low Biggins, Cumbria


Mansergh, Cumbria


Church of St Peter, Mansergh


Mansergh Community Hall


Meal Bank, Cumbria


Laverock Bridge


Mealo


Mealo House


Mealrigg, Cumbria


Middlesceugh


Milburn Grange, Cumbria


Millhouse, Castle Sowerby


Mislet


Mislet Cottage


Miteside, Cumbria


Miteside Halt (railway station)


Moor Row, Cumbria


Moorend, Thursby


Moorthwaite, Wigton


Netherby, Cumbria


Coop House, Netherby, Cumbria


Newbiggin, Kirkby Thore


Church of St Edmund, Newbiggin


Newbiggin Bridge, Newbiggin, Kirkby Thore


Newbiggin Hall, Cumbria


Newby Cross, Carlisle


Newlands Valley, Cumbria


Newlands Church and former School


Newlands Township, Cumberland, 1848


Newlands, Castle Sowerby


Newton Field, Cumbria


Milestone at Newton Field


Nibthwaite


Northsceugh


Old Hutton, Cumbria


Church of St John the Baptist, Old Hutton


Orton Grange (near Carlisle)


Oulton, Cumbria


Overwater, Nenthead


Parkgate, Waverton, Cumbria


Old Milestone near Parkgate


Patton Bridge


Petteril Crook, Cumberland


Piel Island


Piel Castle


Ship Inn, Piel Island


Trinity House Pilot Houses, Piel Island


Plumpton Head


Port Carlisle


Rampside


Bow Windows Farm, Rampside


Church of St Michael, Rampside


Clarke's Hotel, Rampside


Concle Inn, Rampside


Lighthouse, Rampside


Moorhead Cottages, Rampside


Rampside Hall


Rampside, 1848


Rash, Sedbergh


Rash Bridge


Raughton, Cumbria


Risehow, Cumbria


Old Milestone, Risehow


Rivers in Cumbria


Allonby Beck (aka Crookhurst Beck & Westnewton Beck)


Argill Beck


Gatesgarthdale Beck


Halls Beck


Mill Beck (Poaka Beck)


Raven Beck


River Annas


River Bela


Stainton Beck - St. Sunday's Beck


River Brathay


Great Langdale Beck


River Calder (Cumbria)


Cald Beck / Whelpo Beck


Gill Beck


Worm Gill


River Caldew


Roe Beck / River Roe


River Cocker


Bitter Beck


River Derwent (Cumbria)


Broughton Beck


River Marron


Lostrigg Beck


River Duddon


Moasdale Beck


Tarn Beck


River Eamont


Aira Beck


Elder Beck (river)


Fusedale Beck


Glenridding Beck


Red Tarn Beck


Swart Beck


River Eden (Cumbria)


Cairn Beck


Cumwhitton Beck


Trout Beck (Cairn Beck)


Croglin Water


Briggle Beck


Stockdale Beck


Crowdundle Beck


Luz Beck


River Belah


River Petteril


Scandal Beck


Crooks Beck


Swindale Beck (Brough)


Trout Beck (Eden)


River Eea


Muddy Pool (stream)


Whitestone Beck


River Ehen


Croasdale Beck


River Keekle


River Liza, Cumbria


River Ellen


River Esk ('the Border Esk')


River Lyne (Cumbria)


Black Lyne


Bailey Water


White Lyne


River Esk ('the Cumbrian Esk')


River Mite


River Glenderamackin


Mosedale Beck


River Greta (Cumbria)


River Irt


River Irthing


Butter Burn


Kingwater (river)


River Gelt


River Kent (Cumbria)


River Giplin


River Gowan (Cumbria)


River Mint (Cumbria)


Bannisdale Beck


River Sprint


River Winster


Arndale Beck


River Leith (Cumbria)


River Leven (Cumbria)


River Crake


Church Beck


Torver Beck


Summers Cove Beck


Tranearth Beck


Yewdale Beck


River Lowther (Cumbria)


River Lune (Cumbria)


Birk Beck


Fairmile Beck


River Rawthey


Backside Beck


Clough River


River Dee, Cumbria


Cowgill Beck


Roundthwaite Beck


River Lyvennet


River Nent


River Rothay


Rydal Beck


Scandale Beck


River Wampool


River Waver


Roa Island


Barrow Lifeboat Station


Boat Club, Roa Island


Causway, Roa Island


Former Roa Island Hotel


Jetty for Piel Island Ferry, Roa Island


Marine Terrace, Roa Island


Piel Street, Roa Island


Roa Island House


Trinity Terrace, Roa Island


Watch Tower & Former Customs House, Roa Island


Rockcliffe Cross


Castletown House, Rockcliffe


Entrance Gateway, Castletown


Entrance Lodge, Castletown


The Esk Boathouse


Roebanks


Rusland Cross


Salter and Eskett


Sandford, Cumbria


Sandraw


Old Milestone by Sandraw Bridge


Sandside, Cumbria


Sandwith


Santon Bridge


Bridge Inn, Santon Bridge


Santon, Cumbria


Satterthwaite


Satterthwaite Parish Room


Schools in Cumbria


Sizergh


Sizergh Castle


The Great Barn, Sizergh Castle


Smardale


Limekilns near Smardalegill Viaduct


Scandal Beck Ford


Smardale Bridge over Scandal Beck


Smardale Gill Viaduct


Smardale Hall


Smardale Station


Smardale Township, 1848


Smardale Viaduct


Soulby (Kirkby Stephen)


St Helens, Seaton, Cumbria


Old Milestone, St Helens


South Stainmore, Cumbria


St John's in the Vale


Bram Crag farmhouse, St John's in the Vale


Southernby, Cumbria


Packhorse Bridge by Bram Crag, St John's in the Vale


Staffield


Sosgill Bridge, St John's in the Vale


Staffield Hall


The Nunnery, Staffield