Topics > Cumbria > Orton, Eden > Church of All Saints, Orton, Eden

Church of All Saints, Orton, Eden


All Saints Church in Orton, in the Eden district of Cumbria, dates from the 12th century. The distinctive white tower was built in the early 16th century. The parish church is Grade II* listed on the National Heritage List for England.

All Saints Church is in the village of Orton, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Appleby, the archdeaconry of Carlisle, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is united with those of St Oswald, Revenstonedale, and St James, Tebay. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.

History

The earliest fabric in the church dates from the later part of the 12th century. The tower was built in the early 16th century, and the porch is dated 1607. In 1877–78 the chancel and north aisle were rebuilt by the Lancaster architects Paley and Austin. In 2006–07 the tower was rendered in lime, giving it a white appearance.

Architecture

The church is constructed in stone, with roofs of either lead or slate. Its plan consists of a three-bay nave, north and south aisles, a south porch, an aisleless chancel, and a west tower. The south aisle is wider than the north. The tower is in three stages and has a castellated parapet. The windows along the aisles have three lights, and the chancel contains lancet windows.

Inside the church is an octagonal stone font dated 1662, inscribed with the initials "DW" and "MO". At the east end of the south aisle is a piscina in a trefoil-arched recess. Over the entrance to the church is a panel painted with Royal arms dated 1695. The pulpit is Victorian and consists of an octagonal bowl on a stone base. The stained glass in the east window is by Clayton and Bell, and in the south wall of the chancel the glass is by Abbot and Company, dated 1897. In the south aisle is a window designed by Beatrice Whistler (the wife of James McNeill Whistler), made by Campbell, Smith and Company in 1892; one designed by F. G. Christmas and made by the same company in about the same date; and another by Stanley Murray Scott for Reed Millican, dated 1959. There are memorials in the church dating from the 18th and 19th centuries.

The two-manual organ was made in about 1878 by Wilkinson and Son, and was overhauled in 1995 by Harrison and Harrison. There is a ring of eight bells. The oldest of these was cast by Abraham Rudhall I in 1711. The other seven were cast in 1917 by John Taylor & Co. There are three other bells that are unused. One of these was cast in about 1529 by John Woolley, and the other two in 1637, possibly by William Oldfield I.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 26/10/2019).
Visit the page: All Saints Church, Orton for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Orton, Eden Grade II* Listed Orton Parish, Westmorland, 1848 Churches and Cathedrals Richard Burn (1709 - 1785)
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church and part of its burial ground at Orton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints, Orton: church building

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church in Orton near Tebay

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints, Orton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints, Orton: Sharp window

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church, Orton, Font

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church, Orton, Organ

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church, Orton, Interior

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church, Orton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church, Orton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints church, Orton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church, Orton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church, Orton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church, Orton, Porch

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints Church, Orton, Graveyard

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS - Orton - List Entry
- "Parish Church. Various dates from late C12. Chancel and north nave aisle rebuilt during 1878 restoration by Paley & Austin. Nave and tower stone blocks on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses; chancel ashlar. Shallow-pitch lead roof over nave and south aisle; graduated ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Orton Parish, Westmorland, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Orton Parish, Westmorland, 1848
- ORTON (All Saints), a market-town and parish, in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 9 miles (S.W. by S.) from Appleby, and 275 (N.W. by N.) from London; containing, ...
from Geograph (geograph)
All Saints, Orton: old bells

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Richard Burn (1709 - 1785)
  Co-Curate Page
Richard Burn (1709 - 1785)
- Overview About Richard Burn Richard Burn was a noted scholar and legal writer in the 18th century. He was born in Winton, near Kirkby Stephen in Westmorland and went on ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1145428
List grade: 2*
Wikipedia: All Saints Church...
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY6221408395

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES