Topics > Cumbria > Whitehaven > Christian Brethren Church, Whitehaven

Christian Brethren Church, Whitehaven


The Christian Brethren Church ('Gospel Hall') is located on Sandhills Lane in Whitehaven. The building was previously a Quaker Meeting House, built in c.1725. Thomas Story (c.1670 -1742) had encouraged local Quakers to build a meeting house in Whitehaven; in 1716 a plot of land here was purchased from Sir John Lowther for 5 shillings and the building was completed in 1725. The meeting closed in 1926 and in 1931 the former meeting house was sold to the Christian Brethren. An earlier Christian Brethren church in Whitehaven had been established in 1854, moving to the former Primitive Methodist chapel on Fox Lane in 1859, before moving here, to Sandhills Lane in 1931.

Whitehaven 1725 Quakers
from Flickr (flickr)
Whitehaven 1727

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.cumberlandquake...
Whitehaven & Egremont Quakers History
- "....Thomas Story encouraged Friends to build a meeting house and a plot of ground was purchased for 5 shillings. Friends subscribed towards the cost of a meeting house and early ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.whitehavenandwes...
Sandhills Lane
- "...Sandhills Lane is taken from the fact that dunes from the beach originally existed this far into the town and were used as common land for people to mend fishing ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES