CALTHWAITE, a township, in the parish of Hesket-in-the-Forest, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 7 miles (N. N.W.) from Penrith; containing 206 inhabitants. The river Petterill, over which a bridge of one arch was built by subscription in 1793, flows on the eastern side of the village, and the Lancaster railway runs through the township.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Calthwaite is a small village in rural Cumbria, situated between the small market town of Penrith and the larger city of Carlisle. It is within of the civil parish of Hesket and the district of Eden, and has a population of around 100 people.
The village contains a primary school, a Church of England Church, a pre-school nursery and a pub called the Globe Inn.
The school has around 50 pupils, and 5 teachers. There are two classes, Class 1 consisting of the years reception to year 2, Class 2 consisting of the years 3–6. The Head Teacher is Mr. Askew.
Calthwaite Hall dates back to 1837 and has been run as a holiday and wedding venue.
Two miles south-east of the village, Brackenburgh Old Tower is a late 14th or early 15th century pele tower adjoining a large 19th-century house at Brackenburgh Hall.