Topics > Cumbria > Waitby > Waitby Township, 1848
Waitby Township, 1848
WAITBY, a township, in the parish of Kirkby Stephen, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 1¾ mile (W.) from Kirkby-Stephen; containing 54 inhabitants. It comprises 972 acres, of which 450 are common or waste land. A school was erected in 1680, by James Highmore, citizen of London, who endowed it with £400, now producing £40 per annum, and who also left £5. 5. per annum to the poor.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.