Lowgill, Cumbria


Lowgill is a hamlet by the River Lune in Cumbria, located about 7 miles north-west of Kendal and 4 miles north-east of Sedbergh. Lowgill was an agricultural hamlet within the former township of Dillicar. Lowgill became significant in the 19th century as the place where the London & North Western Railway (1848) and Ingleton Branch Line (opened 1861). The population grew in association with the building and running of the railway. There was once a school at Railway Terrace in Lowgill, which was built by railway company 1869 (closed in 1948). There was once also a Primitive Methodist chapel at the nearby hamlet of Beckfoot, built in 1872 (now converted to a residential dwelling).[1] The biggest reminder of the railway history in the area is Lowgill Viaduct, built in 1859 to carry the Ingleston Branch Line.

from Geograph (geograph)
Lowgill Viaduct, Lune Valley, Cumbria

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Site of former Low Gill station, 2003

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Dillicar
- "Township in Kendal parish, but in Lonsdale ward, Westmorland; includes hamlets of Lowgill and Beckfoot. Absorbed into Grayrigg CP 1986. Population: rising from around 80 in early 19th century to ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old Station House beside Tebay Road

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES