The church was built in 1891, replacing an earlier church of 1790. It was originally a Presbyterian Meeting House. It became a United Reformed Church in 1972. The Gothic style of building was based on designs of Marshall of Naworth.
Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools
and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria.
is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created
community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using
social media and open archives/data.