THWAITES, a chapelry, in the parish of Millom, union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 10 miles (S.E.) from Ravenglass; containing 356 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £99; patrons, four Landowners in the chapelry. The chapel was rebuilt in 1715, and dedicated to St. Anne in 1724.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Settlements in the Chapelry of Thwaites included Hallthwaites, Brushstock and Duddon Bridge. A new St Anne's Church was built in Thwaites from 1852-4, replacing the ealier chapel. In 1894 Thwaites (along Millom Above, Millom Below, Chapel Sucken) became part of the newly formed Civil Parish of Millom Rural, which in 1934, along with boundry changes became the Civil Parish of Millom Without.