Topics > Cumbria > Brougham


Brougham is a dispersed hamlet, located just over a mile south-east of Penrith Cumbria. There are are a number of farms in the area and the bulk of the residential housing is located by Brougham Hall, towards Eamont Bridge.

Brougham is a small village (or more properly a collection of hamlets) and civil parish on the outskirts of Penrith in the Eden District of Cumbria, England. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 279, falling marginally to 277 at the 2011 Census.

Within the parish are the remains of Brocavum Roman fort. The ruins of the medieval Brougham Castle, once home to Lady Anne Clifford, are next to the fort. The mainly 19th century Brougham Hall, the former seat of the Lords Brougham and Vaux is nearby. The 17th-century Countess Pillar, set up by Lady Anne, is beside the A66 near the castle.

The parish has two Anglican churches:

  • The historic Ninekirks, dedicated to St Ninian, is situated by the banks of the River Eamont and was extensively rebuilt by Lady Anne Clifford. It was previously a Norman foundation, probably on the site of an earlier Anglo-Saxon church. There is reputed to have been an even more ancient monastery nearby, founded by St Ninian (see also History of Cumbria).
  • St Wilfred's or Brougham Chapel is next to the hall, overlooking the River Lowther.

Brougham "village" itself is no more than a scattering of farms and modern housing near the hall and is, along with neighbouring Eamont Bridge, often classed as an outlying suburb of Penrith. There are some more cottages next to the castle, which is partially built on the site of the Roman fort.

Within the parish is Whinfell Forest the site of a Red squirrel reserve, the Center Parcs Oasis Holiday Village, and the site of RAF Hornby Hall World War II aerodrome.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 27/01/2019).
Visit the page: Brougham, Cumbria for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

Brougham Castle Bridge River Eamont Brougham Civil Parish Brougham Parish, 1848 Brougham Castle Brougham Hall
from Geograph (geograph)
River Eamont at Brougham Castle, Cumbria

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
1756 Fish

Pinned by Simon Cotterill


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.