Topics > Cumbria > Osmotherley > Church of St John the Evangelist, Osmotherley

Church of St John the Evangelist, Osmotherley


St John the Evangelist's Church is the parish church of Osmotherley in Cumbria. It was originally built in 1874 as a chapel of ease to St Mary's Church in Ulverston, before Osmotherley became an independent parish. Prior to the building of the church, services in Osmotherley were held in a school, using portable altar rails. St John's Church was designed by the Lancaster partnership of Paley and Austin. The Church is a Grade II listed building.

St John the Evangelist's Church is in the village of Osmotherley, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Furness, the archdeaconry of Westmorland and Furness, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is united with St Mary with Holy Trinity, Ulverston. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.

History

The church was built in 1873–74 to a design by the Lancaster partnership of Paley and Austin. It provided seating for about 150 people, and cost about £1,400 (equivalent to £131,000 in 2019).

Architecture

St John's is constructed in coursed slate rubble with sandstone dressings. The roofs are slated, with tiles on the crest. Its plan consists of a four-bay nave and a chancel in one range, a north porch, and a south vestry. The chancel has an apsidal east end. At the west end of the church is a bellcote with a spirelet. All the windows are lancets, other than two square-headed windows in the vestry, and a rose window above two lancets at the west end. The porch consists of a wooden frame on stone bases, and it is gabled. The bellcote is wooden and hung with slates. Its spirelet is broached at the base, and contains small lucarnes.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 04/04/2020).
Visit the page: St John the Evangelist's Church, Osmotherley for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

Osmotherley Historic Buildings and Monuments in Egton with Newland, Mansriggs & Osmotherley Churches and Cathedrals 1874
from Geograph (geograph)
St John's Church from Cumbria Way

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Johns Church Osmotherley

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
War Memorial in St John's churchyard Osmotherley

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St John's Church Osmotherley

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST - Osmotherley, Cumbria - List Entry
- "Church. 1874. By Paley and Austin. Coursed slate rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roofs with tile cresting. Nave and chancel with south vestry. 4-bay nave has lancet windows ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1086796
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Post code: LA12 7PQ
Grid ref: SD2789682152
Wikipedia: St John the Evang...

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES