Topics > Cumbria > Stockdalewath
Stockdalewath is a village in the City of Carlisle district of Cumbria, situated by the River Roe and located about 6 miles south of the centre of Carlisle and 12 miles north-west of Penrith. Historically, Stockdalewath was a township ancient parish of Castle Sowerby in Cumberland. Today, the village forms part of Dalston Civil Parish.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Stockdalewath is a small village in Cumbria, approximately 7.5 miles south of Carlisle in the extreme northwest of England. It is located on the River Roe, and is in the civil parish of Dalston.
As of the 2011 census, the population is estimated to be 74.
Archaeological evidence, mostly based on aerial surveys of crop marks, suggests that Stockdalewath was a rural settlement in Roman Cumbria. Within a half mile of the village are three camps thought to be Roman, with the names Castlesteads, Stoneraise, and Shitestones. They are equal distance from each other and form a triangle.
- Susanna Blamire, poet known as The Muse of Cumberland; raised in Stockdalewath
Visit the page: Stockdalewath for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Grid ref: NY3871145070
Add a comment or share a memory.