List number: 1087757
List grade: 2
Grid ref: NY4342549217

Mortuary Chapel, St Mary's Church, Wreay


The Mortuary Chapel adjoining the cemetery of St Mary's Church in Wreay was built in c.1835. It was built by Sarah Losh as a reconstruction of St Perran's Oratory at Perranzabuloe, Cornwall - the inspiration being that in 1835, this was thought to be the earliest Christian church in England. The Mortuary Chapel is Grade II listed.

from Geograph (geograph)
Mortuary chapel, Wreay

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Mortuary chapel door

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from https://historicengland.org...
MORTUARY CHAPEL - Wreay - List Entry
- "Chapel to adjoining cemetery. Circa 1835 by Sarah Losh. Dressed calciferous sandstone, stone-slate roof. Single storey and one bay: built as a reconstructed copy of St Perran's Oratory found ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
Sarah Losh (1785 - 1853)
  Co-Curate Page
Sarah Losh (1785 - 1853)
- Overview About Sarah Losh Sarah Losh was an architect and designer from Wreay in Cumbria. She designed St Mary's Church and other buildings in Wreay. Sadly, none of her papers ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES