Topics > Cumbria > Staveley-in-Westmorland > Church of St James, Staveley

Church of St James, Staveley


 

St James' Church, Staveley is a Grade II listed parish church in the Church of England in Staveley, Cumbria.

History

In the 1860s Staveley´s 14th century church was replaced with a new one on a different site. Only the tower of the old church survives.

The new church was designed by the architect, J. S. Crowther of Manchester, in Early English style. The foundation stone was laid on 24 September 1863 by General Upton, acting on behalf of Hon. Mrs Howard, the Lady of the Manor.

It was consecrated by the Bishop of Carlisle, Rt Revd Samuel Waldegrave on 24 April 1865 at which point the only outstanding item was the spirelet.

Parish status

The church is in a joint parish with

  • St Cuthbert's Church, Kentmere
  • St Anne’s Church, Hugill or Ings

Incumbents

  • William Hudson ???? - 1658
  • James Robinson 1676 - 1691
  • William Harrison 1691 - 1724
  • Thomas Garnett 1724 - 1742
  • Isaac Knipe 1742 - 1754
  • William Langhorne 1754 - 1757
  • George Myres 1757 - 1806
  • Peter Strickland 1807 - 1837
  • James G. Elleray 1837 - 1858
  • William Chaplin (Sen.) 1858 - 1898
  • John Hawkesworth 1898 - 1902
  • William Chaplin 1902 - 1920
  • Ernest W.J. McConnel 1920 - 1943
  • Eric E. Oliver 1943 - 1976
  • Stephen Swidenbank 1976 - 1985
  • John Woolcock 1986 - 1993
  • Geoffrey Watson 1994 - 2013
  • Shanthi Thompson 2013 - current

Stained glass

  • East Window. Outstanding pre-Raphaelite glass made by Morris and Co to designs of Edward Burne-Jones 1878.

Organ

The church organ was built by Wilkinson and Son of Kendal and inaugurated on 25 September 1866 by Mr Smallwood of St George's Church, Kendal. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 28/11/2019).
Visit the page: St James' Church, Staveley for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

Staveley-in-Westmorland Historic Buildings and Monuments in Over Staveley Civil Parish Churches and Cathedrals 1865
from Geograph (geograph)
The Parish Church of St James, Staveley

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James' church, Staveley

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James' Church, Staveley

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Parish Church of St James, Staveley, Lychgate

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St.James's Church Staveley

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James, Staveley: stained glass window (A)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James, Staveley: font

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James, Stavely: mid February 2015

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James, Staveley: organ

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST JAMES - Staveley, Cumbria - List Entry
- "Parish Church 1864-5 by J S Crowther. Roughly coursed slate rubble with sandstone dressings, graduated greenslate roof with stone ridge and copings. Five bays to nave, three to chancel. Small ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James, Staveley: stained glass window (B)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James, Staveley: stained glass window (E)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James, Staveley: stained glass window (D)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James, Staveley: choir stalls

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James' church, Staveley

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St James church #staveley #cumbria

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Flickr (flickr)
Through the lychgate #staveley st James #church #cumbria

Pinned by Edmund Anon

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1086551
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Post code: LA8 9PH
Grid ref: SD4694098601
Wikipedia: St James' Church,...

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES