Little Urswick, 1848
URSWICK, LITTLE, a hamlet, in the parish of Urswick, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster; containing 96 inhabitants. The village, which adjoins Great Urswick, is pleasantly situated, and is distinguished for its fine circular lake about half a mile in diameter, abounding with tench, roach, and other fish. A school was founded in 1580, by William Marshall, who endowed it with a rent-charge of £15.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.