Topics > Cumbria > Nateby, Cumbria

Nateby, Cumbria


Nateby is a village in the Eden district of Cumbria, located about 1½ miles from the town of Kirby Stephen. Historically, Nateby was a township in the ancient parish of Kirkby Stephen in Westmorland. Today, the village and surrounding area form Nateby Civil Parish. Within the village are the Black Bull Inn, Anderson's (garage and petrol station), McWhirter's (a farm equipment supplier) and Nateby Methodist Church.

NATEBY, a township, in the parish of Kirkby Stephen, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 1½ mile (S.) from Kirkby-Stephen; containing 108 inhabitants. The township consists of 2,075 acres, whereof 1,000 are waste or common. It is bounded on the west by the river Eden, which, flowing over a rocky bed, forms one of the greatest natural curiosities in the kingdom, and is here crossed by Stenkrith bridge. About two miles and a half east of the village, is a lofty fell called the Nine Standards, from some stones erected there to mark the boundary of the counties of York and Westmorland.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Nateby is a village and civil parish in the Eden district of Cumbria, England. The village is situated about 1.5 miles (2 km) south of Kirkby Stephen and 15 miles (24 km) north west of Hawes. Historically part of Westmorland, it lies 3 miles from the borders of the Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire. Nearby are the Nine Standards Rigg hills. The village contains a popular country pub, The Black Bull Inn, a garage/petrol station and a small metal-yard.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 22/11/2020).
Visit the page: Nateby, Cumbria for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Cumbria Nateby Civil Parish Nine Standards Rigg Kirkby Stephen Parish, 1848 Black Bull Inn, Nateby Nateby Methodist Church Old School, Nateby
from Geograph (geograph)
Nateby Village

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Telephone box, Nateby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Black Bull at Nateby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Nateby village.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Nateby Ford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old Circular, village name on black band, no MU symbol or name, 1923

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Methodist Chapel, Nateby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Beck and clapper bridge, Nateby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
'The Old School'

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Alderson's Garage, Nateby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Nateby
- "Township in Kirkby Stephen parish, East ward, Westmorland ....held by de Hastings family from 14th to 16th centuries, after which it passed to Whartons. Sold to Robert Lowther 1728 and ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Nine Standards Rigg
  Co-Curate Page
Nine Standards Rigg
- Overview About Nine Standards Rigg Map Street View Nine Standards Rigg are a cluster of cairns located near the summit of Hartley Fell in the Pennine Hills, about three and ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES