Topics > Cumbria > Stainton > The Stainton Institute

The Stainton Institute


The Stainton Institute, on Stainton Lane in Stainton village, is a former chapel which is now used as a community building. It was originally built in c.1698 as a Presbyterian chapel. The chapel was refurbished and extended in the 19th century. It later became a United Reformed Church (the URC was formed in 1972 by a union of the Presbyterian Church of England and the majority of churches in the Congregational Church in England and Wales). However, by the early 21st century the congregation had decreased. The Stainton Institute, with the aim of converting the church to a community hall for residents of Stainton Parish, obtained charity status in August 2008, and went on to purchase the building. The former chapel is a Grade II listed building on the National Heritage List for England. The building has been renovated after obtaining planning and listed building consent permissions, and long running fund raising efforts.

"Two licences were issued in 1672 for Presbyterian meetings in the parish of Heversham, one being from John Hinde’s house, probably the same John Hind of Stainton whose house was registered 13th January 1698/9 under the Tolerance Act.... The chapel was erected c1698. ....Ministers who were ejected for their churches because they wouldn't conform to the use of the Book of Common Prayer in the 1660s were not allowed to preach within 5 miles of the church where they had been the minister. This chapel is roughly 5 miles from Kendal...."

Stainton Institute Website
Stainton 1698 Historic Buildings and Monuments in Stainton Civil Parish, Cumbria Former Church
from Geograph (geograph)
Former chapel at Stainton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.facebook.com/pr...
Stainton Institute - Facebook
- Facebook pages of The Stainton Institute, Cumbria

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
UNITED REFORMED CHURCH - Stainton - List Entry
- "Independent Chapel now United Reformed Church. C17 with C19 refurbishment and extension to right. Roughcast render over rubble; graduated greenslate roof with slate ridge. Single storey, extension to right 2 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.staintoninstitut...
Stainton Institute
- Website of The Stainton Institute. "...The project is to bring back into use the former historic chapel to provide a community building which currently does not exist. There are three ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



Charity number: 1125601
List number: 1137429
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: SD5259585973

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES