Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
TROUTBECK, a chapelry, in the parish of Windermere, union and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 5½ miles (S.E. by E.) from Ambleside; containing 299 inhabitants. The chapelry is intersected by a rivulet, from which it derives its name: in the neighbourhood are quarries of fine blue slate. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £43; patron, the Rector of Windermere, whose tithes here have been commuted for £34. The chapel, called Jesus' chapel, was consecrated in 1562; and adjoining is a school built in 1639, with an endowment of £8 per annum. There were formerly two cairns, supposed to be British, on the removal of one of which a rude stone chest was discovered, inclosing a quantity of human bones.