Low Wood Village
Low Wood (sometimes Lowwood) is a village in the South Lakeland district of Cumbria, located on the south side of the River Leven, over the river from Haverthwaite. The area has a rich industrial heritage; there were iron works here in the 18th century. Low Wood Gunpowder Works were established on the site of the iron works in 1799. The Clock Tower buildings of the gunpowder works are now in use as the Clock Tower Business Centre. Low Wood Bridge also dates from around the time of the iron works, and was the first bridging point across the River Leven. Today, Wood is part of Backbarrow and Haverthwaite Civil Parish. Historically, Low Wood was within the Chapelry of Haverthwaite, in the ancient Parish of Colton, in Lancashire.
Not to be confused with Low Wood Bay on nearby Windermere.