Topics > Cumbria > Helton > Helton Methodist Chapel

Helton Methodist Chapel


This former Wesleyan Chapel in Helton in Cumbria was built in the mid 19th Century. In 1873 it had 120 sittings; by 1940 these had been reduced to 95 in pews.[1] It closed as a place of worship in the 1990s and subsequently appears to have been converted to residential use. The chapel is a Grade II listed building.[2] Historic England give the date built as 1857; other sources note 1867/8.

Helton 1857 Private Residence Former Church Historic Buildings and Monuments in Askham Civil Parish
from Geograph (geograph)
Wesleyan Chapel, Helton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
HELTON METHODIST CHAPEL - List Entry
- "Methodist chapel. Dated and inscribed: 'WESLEYAN CHAPEL AD 1857'. Limestone rubble walls with raised quoins, under Welsh slate roof. Single storey, 2 bays with left set back porch....."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.mywesleyanmetho...
Helton WM Chapel, Westmorland
- See photos. "Helton WM Chapel, Westmorland Grid ref NY511222 Helton Chapel was built of stone in 1868 at a cost of £178.14.11. In 1873 it had 120 sittings ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1326820
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY5105922155

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES