Topics > Cumbria > Walney Island > Walney Lighthouse

Walney Lighthouse


 

Walney Lighthouse is a functioning lighthouse located on Walney Island in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England. The current building dates to the early 19th-century and is Grade II* listed as well as being the southernmost man-made structure in Cumbria.

Completed in 1804, the stone lighthouse and its attached cottages actually predate Barrow and its port. The structure was built to replace a smaller wooden lighthouse that was constructed in 1790 to aid in navigation towards the docks at Glasson close to Lancaster and the River Lune. The original lighthouse was destroyed by fire in 1803 and was swiftly replaced by the lighthouse of today. The lighthouse was designed by engineer E. Dawson and saw little change for over a century when an acetylene gaslight system was installed, this was again changed in 1953 to a 'manned' electric light and rotation system. As of 2003 however the lighthouse has remained unmanned.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 25/09/2018).
Visit the page: Walney Lighthouse for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

Walney Island Grade II* Listed Historic Buildings and Monuments in Barrow-in-Furness 1804 Lighthouses
from Flickr (flickr)
South Walney Lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Walney Island: lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Lighthouse on Walney Island Nature Reserve

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Walney Lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Walney Lighthouse, Haws Point

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Private track to Walney lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Walney lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Track to Walney Lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Walney Lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
WALNEY LIGHTHOUSE WITH TWO ATTACHED COTTAGES AND OUTBUILDINGS - List Entry
- "Lighthouse with attached pair of cottages and storeroom. 1790. For the Lancaster Quay Commissioners (Barnes); cottages altered C19. Lighthouse is dressed, painted stone; cottages stuccoed and with slate roofs. U-shaped ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1218858
List grade: 2*
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: SD2301962058
Wikipedia: Walney Lighthouse

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES