List grade: 1
List number: 1075165
Post code: CA16 6JP
Grid ref: NY6666123993
Wikipedia: St Margaret and S...

Church of St Margaret and St James, Long Marton


 

St Margaret and St James' Church is located about 0.5 miles (0.8 km) to the south of the village of Long Marton, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Appleby, the archdeaconry of Carlisle, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is united with those of ten local churches to form the benefice of Heart of Eden. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building.

History

Originating before the Norman conquest, the church contains Anglo-Saxon and Norman architectural features. The tower was added probably in the early 12th century, and the chancel was extended later that century. A south chapel was added in the 15th century, and the vestry in the following century. The church was restored by John A. Cory in 1880.

Architecture

The church is constructed in stone with large quoins and slate roofs. Its plan consists of a nave with a south porch, a south chapel (or transept), a chancel with a north vestry, and a west tower. Parts of the nave walls are Saxon, other parts of the nave and the blocked north doorway are Norman, and the chancel is in Decorated style. The tower is in three stages, with paired bell openings. The windows around the church are in varying styles, most of them being mullioned. Three of the doorways have tympana containing carvings of dragons and other items. Inside the chancel are a double sedilia and a piscina. Most of the furnishings are from Cory's restoration. A window has been inserted into the blocked north doorway; this contains stained glass dated 1930 by Stanley M. Scott, depicting Saints Margaret and James flanked by Saints Cosmas and Damian. In the south transept is a window of 1925 to the memory of the architect George Dominic Stampa.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 07/03/2019).
Visit the page: St Margaret and St James' Church, Long Marton for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
Church of St Margaret and St James, Long Marton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Long Marton Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET AND ST JAMES - Long Marton
- :Parish church. Nave's north and west walls, with at least part of the south wall, are pre-conquest; tower added probably early C12, chancel extended C12, south chapel added mid ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Graves at Church of St Margaret and St James

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Graves at Church of St Margaret and St James

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Benchmark on Church of St Margaret & St James

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES