Topics > Cumbria > Glassonby > Church of St Michael, Glassonby

Church of St Michael, Glassonby


The Church of St Michael and All Angels is located about half a mile south-west of the village of Glassonby in Cumbria. It was the parish church for the ancient parish of Addingham in Cumberland. It was built to replace an early church which was located by the village of Addingham, much of which was washed away when the River Eden changed it's course in 1350 AD. The present church dates largely from the 16th century, though with some earlier parts, and is a Grade II* listed building on the National Heritage List for England. Inside the church are a 9th century decorated cross shaft and a hogback grave stone (probably 10th to 12th century). Also, in the churchyard is the 10/11th century Addingham Cross.

Glassonby Addingham Cross Grade II* Listed Churches and Cathedrals Addingham Parish, 1848 Historic Buildings and Monuments in Glassonby Civil Parish
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael & All Angels Church, Addingham, Glassonby (2)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael & All Angels Church, Addingham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Ice draped grave cross

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael & All Angels Church, Addingham, Glassonby (3)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Hog back grave stone, St. Michael's church, Addingham, Glassonby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
9th C decorated cross shaft, St. Michael's church, Addingham, Glassonby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Church of St Michael and All Angels at Addingham

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michaels Church near Glassonby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Michael & All Angels Church, Addingham, Glassonby

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Addingham Cross
  Co-Curate Page
Addingham Cross
- The 'Addingham Cross' is a late 10th or early 11th century Saxon stone cross in the churchyard of St Michael's Church, Glassonby. The cross was originally located in the churchyard ...
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL - Glassonby - List Entry
- "Church, replacing earlier church now beneath the River Eden. Probably early C16, incorporating earlier features, with alterations 1786 and 1898. Large blocks of coursed red sandstone rubble, graduated green slate ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.achurchnearyou....
St Michael and all Angels
- "Diocese of Carlisle - Addingham. St Michael and All Angels, Addingham, is part of the East of Eden Mission Community...."

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1144844
List grade: 2*
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY5743538308

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES