LINDALE, a chapelry, in the township of Upper Allithwaite, parish of Cartmel, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 10 miles (W. by S.) from Milnthorpe. This place, the scenery of which is wild and rocky, lies on the road between Ulverston and Lancaster, with an arm of Morecambe bay running up to it. In the inlet is a beautiful island, about twelve acres in extent, on which is a handsome house, the property of John Thomson, Esq., who has embellished the island with a small but elegant Chinese temple. In Lindale is the residence of George Webster, Esq., whose grounds contain an extensive and curious collection of shrubs and evergreens, laid out with great taste; above the mansion is a tower, placed upon a lofty eminence. A neat house, called Blawith Cottage, belongs to Thomas Holme Maude, Esq.: it has a southern aspect, commanding an extensive view over the Lancaster sands. The living is a perpetual curacy, net income, £71; patron, the Earl of Burlington: there is a glebe of 26 acres of arable and pasture land, with a glebe-house. The church was rebuilt in 1828, and is a neat structure containing 115 free sittings, the Incorporated Society having granted £125 in aid of the expense. There is a national school for boys.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Lindale - traditionally Lindale in Cartmel - is a village in the south of Cumbria. It lies on the North-Eastern side of Morecambe Bay, England. It was part of Lancashire from 1182 to 1974. It is in the civil parish of Lindale and Newton-in-Cartmel, in South Lakeland district.
Lindale's most famous resident was John "Iron-Mad" Wilkinson, an ironworker and inventor who lived in the village from 1750, where he owned the Castle Head estate. He produced the iron for and helped design the world's first iron bridge (at Ironbridge and Broseley) and he made the world's first iron boat in 1787. A large iron obelisk stands in the village as memorial to him.
Traditionally a farming village, Lindale's proximity to the A590 road has seen a growth in the number of commuters who live there. It is also a centre for car showrooms. The local tourist boom has largely missed Lindale, with nearby Grange-over-Sands developing into a seaside resort, and villages to the north and west (such as Windermere) benefiting from their position in the Lake District National Park.
St Paul's Church
St Paul's church is a grade II listed building of 1828–29. It was designed by architect George Webster. Webster, whose practice was based in Kendal, had a house in Lindale.
It includes stained glass by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster. It is within the Diocese of Carlisle and is part of the Cartmel Peninsula Team Ministry.