Topics > Cumbria > Warwick Bridge > Warwick Bridge Township, 1848
Warwick Bridge Township, 1848
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
WARWICK-BRIDGE, a township, in the parish of Wetheral, union of Carlisle, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (E.) from Carlisle; containing 439 inhabitants. The river Eden is here crossed by a fine stone bridge of four arches leading to the opposite village of Warwick. A strong party of royalists stationed to defend its passage, in June, 1648, was put to the rout by General Lambert. Some extensive cottonmills, bleaching-grounds, and dye-works, established by Messrs. Peter Dixon and Sons, employ more than 500 persons. Holme-Eden House, so called from its contiguity to the river, the residence of Mr. Dixon, is an elegant mansion of recent erection. A district church, called St. Paul's, was built by Mr. Dixon, and consecrated in 1845; it is in the transition style from Norman to early English, with a handsome spire, and contains 450 sittings, one-third being free. The cost of the church and parsonage-house was £2500; and the endowment, £100 per annum, was also supplied by Mr. Dixon, who is patron of the living. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
Add a comment or share a memory.