Ravenstonedale


The village of Ravenstonedale in Cumbria is located just over 4 miles south-west of Kirby Stephen

Ravenstonedale is a village and large civil parish in Cumbria, on the watershed between the River Lune and River Eden. Historically also known as "Russendale", the parish is divided into four parts (known as 'angles'): Town, Newbiggin-on-Lune, Bowderdale and Fell End.

The origin and etymology of the name are obscure. An alternative spelling may be Rausyngdale

Village

The village is centred on a single main street, though there are many scattered dwellings on the periphery. Slightly to the south east of the village centre is Ravenstonedale Endowed School. There are two inns in the village, and one about two miles outside at Fell End.

St Oswald's church

The parish church, dedicated to St Oswald, dates mainly from the rebuild in the 18th century. The tower dates from 1738, and the rest is of 1744. It has an interesting interior where rows of box pews face a central aisle in the collegiate style. There is a very good example of a three-decker pulpit.

To the north of the church are the excavated remains of a Gilbertine priory built in the 12th century, which can still be viewed. There is an interpretation board

Governance

An electoral ward in the same name exists. This ward stretches north to Great Strickland and has a population taken at the 2011 Census of 976.

Transport links

The village is just off the A685 which runs from Junction 38 of the M6 at Tebay through Kirkby Stephen and connects with the A66 at Brough. The village was served by Ravenstonedale railway station (located to the west of Newbiggin-on-Lune), but it closed to passengers in 1952, and to goods traffic in 1962. The nearest station is Kirkby Stephen railway station which is about 4 miles away by road, and is on the main Settle-Carlisle Line. Ravenstonedale is currently the northern terminus of the Pennine Bridleway.

 

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 22/11/2018).
Visit the page: Ravenstonedale for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
The Black Swan, Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The King's Head, Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ravenstonedale, Cumbria, St Oswald

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ravenstonedale Ford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Scandal Beck

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Village Store, Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Footbridge and ford, Scandal Beck

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
High Chapel URC, Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Main Street, Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Croft House Farm, Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Eastern approach to Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Footpath entry in Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
'The Bank House', Town Head

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
In Town Head, Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Garden Gate, Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old Bridge Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Road Bridge Ravenstonedale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Ravenstonedale
- "Ancient parish in East ward, Westmorland, which included village of Newbiggin-on-Lune...."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.ravenstonedale.o...
Ravenstonedale Parish History Group
- "The Group’s origins go back to 2010, when it became necessary to find storage for a large amount of Parish archive material, and it was felt that this could ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.ravenstonedale.o...
FC - Rdale Independent History Archive
- "The FC stands for Frank Chalmers and the Rdale – is Ravenstonedale! The Independent History Archive is a searchable database of image, documents and words. This independent history archive started in ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.ravenstonedale.org/
Ravenstonedale website
- "The Ravenstonedale website was designed by and is maintained by Troutfly Internet with contributions from people within the parish and beyond providing specialist content. It was first launched in 2000 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES