List number: 1197853
List grade: 2
Wikipedia: Rampside Lighthouse
Grid ref: SD2413966237

Lighthouse, Rampside


The lighthouse on the foreshore at Rampside was built in 1875. It was number 4 of 13 leading light navigation beacons built in the late 19th century, which aligned to guide vessels safely into the port at Barrow-in-Furness - and the only one of these surviving. The slender lighthouse, known as "The Needle", is about 20m tall and built from red and yellow bricks. The lighthouse is Grade II listed.

Rampside Lighthouse, also known as "The Needle", is a leading light (navigation beacon) located in the Rampside area of Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England. Built in 1875, it is the only surviving example of 13 such beacons built around Barrow during the late 19th century to aid vessels into the town's port. It stands tall and is constructed from red and yellow bricks. Rampside Lighthouse was designated a Grade II listed building by English Heritage in 1991.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 21/09/2018).
Visit the page: Rampside Lighthouse for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
Former leading light at Rampside

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Rampside Lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Rampside Needle Lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Rampside Tower

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Rampside to Roa Island

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Tower near Rampside

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Bay Cycle Way: Rampside Beacon

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Rampside Needle Lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Rampside lighthouse (Walney channel middle range rear)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Rampside Lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Rampside Lighthouse (The Needle)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
NUMBER 4 LEADING LIGHT ON FORESHORE NEAR RAMPSIDE HALL - List Entry
- "Navigation beacon. c1875. Red and yellow brick. Slender, square tower approx 20m in height. Clasping, red brick pilaster strips and yellow brick side panels with iron straps that project up ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES