Topics > Cumbria > Harrington

Harrington


Harrington and High Harrington are villages located to the south of Workington in Cumbria.

Harrington is a village on the Cumbrian coast south of Workington and north of Whitehaven. Historically part of Cumberland, its industrial history, which largely ended in the late 1930s, included a shipbuilders, iron works, coal mining and steel making. It once had five railway stations. It still has one railway station, on the Cumbrian Coast Line, near the harbour.

Today, with a population of approximately 3,800, measured at 3,167 in the 2011 Census, it is largely a dormitory village for the employees of the shops and offices and light industry found in Workington. Whitehaven, and Sellafield further down the coast.

The parish consists of Harrington itself, High Harrington and Salterbeck, which is a large housing estate on the Workington side of the parish.

History

The name Harrington, is derived from three Anglo-Saxon words; Har or Harr (a man's name), ingas (people) and ton (settlement/estate/enclosure). The original settlers were a group of people whose leader called himself Har. The original inhabitants of land would have called themselves Haringas (Har's people) and the settlement Haringa tun (estate of the Haringas). Other local place names with similar origins would be Workington, Distington and Frizington.

Governance

Harrington, is part of the Workington constituency of the UK parliament. The current Member of Parliament is Mark Jenkinson, a member of the Conservative Party. 2019 marks only the second time since the Second World War that a Conservative has been elected for Workington, the first being at the 1976 by-election.

For the European Parliament residents in Harrington vote to elect MEP's for the North West England constituency.

Harbour

In 1760, Henry Curwen built a quay at Harrington on the south side of the River Wyre. Coal and limestone were soon being exported from Harrington, and the increase in trade led to the development of the local shipbuilding industry. A decline in manufacturing industry saw the harbour's usage drop dramatically during the latter part of the 19th century.

Eventually the harbour was sealed off and used as a reservoir for a nearby magnesium works. The secret "Magnesite" plant at Harrington was set up during the Second World War by the Ministry of Aircraft Production to extract magnesium from seawater, for use in aircraft components and incendiary bombs. At the time it was one of only two plants in the country, making some per annum.

The harbour now has a new lease of life as a facility for leisure, with the scope to grow the marine sector in the Northwest.

Churches

Harrington had many churches, and four remain as churches today. At St Mary's Church there are recent stained-glass windows, which show much of the industrial and maritime heritage of the area.

Cycle network

The West Cumbria Cycle Network passes through Harrington on its way from Distington to Workington. It uses the route of the former Cleator and Workington Junction Railway through High Harrington railway station.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 15/01/2020).
Visit the page: Harrington, Cumbria for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Cumbria Harrington Parish, Cumberland, 1848
from Flickr (flickr)
08.12.1917l

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Rose Hill, Harrington, looking north

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
A winter afternoon at Harrington Harbour

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Cumbria Coastal Way

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Former Cleator & Workington Junction Railway at Harrington Junction, 1951

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Harrington

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Harrington Outer harbour at low tide

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The War Memorial at Harrington

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
High Harrington Post Office

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Harrington Parish, Cumberland, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Harrington Parish, Cumberland, 1848
- HARRINGTON, a small sea-port and a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2 miles (S.) from Workington; containing 1,934 inhabitants. The parish ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES