Hale is a hamlet in the South Lakeland district of Cumbria, located on the A6 road, about half a mile south-east of Beetham. Hale is part of the Civil Parish of Beetham; historically Hale was a parish in the old county of Cumberland.
HALE, a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2½ miles (S.E.) from Egremont; containing, with the hamlet of Wilton, 305 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £82; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Lonsdale: the tithes were commuted for land in 1811. The church, which has a small tower and spire, stands at a short distance from the village. Freestone and limestone abound.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Hale is a hamlet near Beetham in the south of Cumbria, England. It lies on the A6 road, between Carnforth to the south and Milnthorpe to the north. It is in the civil parish of Beetham in South Lakeland local government district.
Hale is within the Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and Hale Moss Nature Reserve and Hale Moss Caves, both lying to the south of the hamlet, are Sites of Special Scientific Interest.
The Lakeland Wildlife Oasis, a small zoo whose highlights include snow leopards and leafcutter ants is at Hale. The hamlet is also home to an 1810 coaching inn, formerly The Kings Arms but renamed The Tavern at Hale.
John Taylor (1808-1887), the third president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) lived at Yew Tree House, Hale, (which still stands, to the east of the A6) after his father James Taylor moved there with his family in 1819. A plaque outside the house commemorates this.