List number: 1136925
List grade: 2*
Grid ref: NY7751708821
Wikipedia: St Stephen's Chur...

Church of St Stephen, Kirkby Stephen


St Stephen's Church is the parish church of Kirkby Stephen. It is sometimes called the "Cathedral of the Dales" in reference to it's large size. The church was built in c.1240 on the site of earlier Anglo-Saxon and Norman churches. Parts of the church were rebuilt in 1847 and restored in the early 1870s. St Stephen's Church is a Grade II* listed building.

The Parish Church, Kirkby Stephen is an Anglican parish church in Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria.

The Church is Shared between the Anglican and Roman Catholic Population of Kirkby Stephen, holding both Anglican Communion and Roman Catholic Mass.

History

Kirkby Stephen Parish Church is often called the "Cathedral of the Dales" and, in Cumbria, only Kendal Parish Church is larger. There have been three churches on this site. The first was built in Anglo-Saxon times; it was replaced in 1170 by a Norman church. This was replaced by the present building in 1240 and has been altered in the centuries since, being partly rebuilt in 1847 and restored in the 1870s. It is a Grade II* listed building.

The church is approached from the market square, where it is almost hidden from view by the cloisters, built in 1810.

The Church has no official dedication. There is no factual basis to support either reference to St Stephen or to the other rumoured previous dedication to St John. However, the church is often referred to as 'St Stephen's Church'.

The Church has 8 bells with the tenor weighing 15 cwt and tuned to F, all except the 7th bell were cast by John Warner & Sons of London in 1877, the 7th was cast by Edward Seller in 1849

Parish

The church is in a joint parish with:

  • St Andrew's Church, Crosby Garrett
  • St Mary's Church, Mallerstang

The Parish Church is also the home of the Roman Catholic congregation following an official sharing agreement entered into in 1990

Memorials

The north or Wharton chapel has a late sixteenth century altar tomb with effigies of Thomas Wharton, 1st Baron Wharton and his 2 wives.

The south or Hartley chapel has early fifteenth century altar tomb with an effigy of Sir Richard Musgrave (died 1409) and a fifteenth century altar tomb to Sir Richard Musgrave (died 1464). It is dedicated to St. Paul.

The most important monument in the church is a relief of the Norse god Loki, who is shown bound and chained.

Organ

The church contains a three manual pipe organ dating from 1888. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 19/02/2019).
Visit the page: St Stephen's Church, Kirkby Stephen for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
Kirkby Stephen Parish Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Shops and church, Kirkby Stephen

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Kirkby Stephen parish church: nave

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Resurrection Window, Kirkby Stephen Parish Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Inside Kirkby Stephen Parish Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Kirkby Stephen Parish Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Kirkby Stephen parish church: Resurrection window

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Tomb of Thomas, 1st Lord Wharton in Kirkby Stephen Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
C2C Day 8 - Kirkby Stephen church

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Flickr (flickr)
C2C Day 8 - Kirkby Stephen church

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Flickr (flickr)
C2C Day 8 - Kirkby Stephen church

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
The Parish Church Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Market Street, Kirkby Stephen

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Sacred to the memory of ...... no longer, Kirkby Stephen

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Loki Stone, Kirkby Stephen Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN - Kirkby Stephen
- "Church of England (probably dedicated to more than one saint originally). Rebuilt c1230 with later additions and alterations. Coursed, squared rubble and some ashlar; plinth (some parts moulded, some chamfered ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Boar tusk, Kirkby Stephen Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Kirkby Stephen from Christian Head

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES