Topics > Cumbria > Preston Patrick
Preston Patrick is a small settlement in the South Lakeland districy of Cumbria, located about 5 miles north of Burton-in-Kendal and 5 miles south of Kendal. Historically it was part of the ancient parish of Burton-in-Kendal. Today it forms part of Preston Patrick Civil Parish.
PRESTON-PATRICK, a chapelry, in the parish of Burton-in-Kendal, union and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 6 miles (N.W. by W.) from Kirkby-Lonsdale; containing 484 inhabitants, and comprising 3,575a. 1r. 16p. of land. The river Belo is here crossed by the Lancaster canal. Challen or Chanon Hall stands on the site of an abbey which existed here for a short time, but was ultimately removed to Shap. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £67.14. and a house; patrons, the Owners of land and tenements charged with the payment of the minister's salary. The tithes were commuted for land in 1814. The chapel, dedicated to St. Patrick, is a neat building, situated on the acclivity of a hill rising from the eastern bank of the Belo. A school, founded in 1780, is endowed with land now producing £9. 9. per annum, for which 10 children are taught.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Preston Patrick is a village and civil parish in South Lakeland, Cumbria, England. It has junction 36 of the M6 motorway in its south west corner and extends north east on both sides of the motorway until just beyond the B2564 road. In the 2011 census its population was reported to be 426. The neighbouring parishes are Old Hutton and Holmescales to the north, Lupton to the east, Beetham to the south and Preston Richard to the west.
St Patrick's Church is a grade II listed building. It is within the ecclesiastical parish of St Thomas, Crosscrake, in the Kendal deanery of the Diocese of Carlisle.
Preston Patrick Hall dates probably from the late 14th century, comprising the remains of a medieval tower house altered in the 17th century.
There are 27 listed buildings or structures in the parish, including several milestones on the A65. Preston Patrick Hall, a private house, is Grade II* listed and "probably late 14th century".
The former primary school, built in 1775, closed in 1949 and is now an art gallery. The Friends Meeting House was built in 1869 on the site of a previous meeting house built in 1691 which had fallen into disrepair after 1833.
Preston Patrick Memorial Hall, built in the 1920s, is a community hall used for a range of events including meetings of the local Women's Institute.
Visit the page: Preston Patrick for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Wikipedia: Preston Patrick
Grid ref: SD53708351
Add a comment or share a memory.