Patterdale with Hartsop, 1848
PATTERDALE, with Hartsop, a chapelry, in the parish of Barton, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 7¾ miles (N. by E.) from Ambleside; containing 573 inhabitants. It extends along the upper reach of Ullswater, amidst scenery of the most sublime character, the view being bounded by a vast amphitheatre of mountains, which surround the lake. The chapelry comprises about 8,000 acres, of which 5,053 are waste land or common. The dale is intersected by numerous rills from the high grounds, and by others flowing from the three tarns, Brotherwater, Hayswater, and Angle tarn, all emptying themselves into the lake Ullswater: at the head of the lake is an inn for the convenience of tourists, near which a large fair for sheep is held in October. There are several very productive quarries of fine blue slate in the neighbourhood; also considerable lead and silver mines. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £57; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The tithes have been commuted for £42 payable to the impropriators, and £21. 9. 9. to the perpetual curate. The chapel is dedicated to St. Patrick, and contains a pulpit above 200 years old.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.