Former Melmerby School (1862 - 1974)
The former school by the village green at Memberly was built in 1862, replacing an earlier school of 1831.
"There is an endowed school with an annuity of £30, the produce of recently enclosed lands." (The National Gazetteer, 1868)
The school closed in 1974 with 16 pupils at that time. The building was subsequently converted for residential use, now known as Tower House.