North Scales, Walney Island
North Scale is a village and one of only four settlements on the Isle of Walney. It is the northernmost settlement, lying a mile north of Vickerstown.
North Scale was first identified as an agricultural settlement, owned by Furness Abbey, in 1247.
As a royalist stronghold in the English Civil War it was briefly sieged by Parliamentarians.
In 1865, the Crown Inn opened in North Scale.
Before the Jubilee Bridge to Walney Island opened in 1908, people crossing on foot at low tide would arrive near North Scale. A causeway was built to make crossing possible for longer periods.
The village grew with the development of the Red Ley estate in the 1960s and the Barnes estate in the 1970s.
North Scale has a community centre, and is linked by bus services to the rest of Walney Island, and to Barrow-in-Furness, via the Jubilee Bridge.
The village is home to the Lakes Gliding Club.