STAFFIELD, a township, in the parish of KirkOswald, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, l½ mile (N.N.W.) from Kirk-Oswald; containing 257 inhabitants. The village is situated in a deep vale, on the north side of the river Croglin; and near it are the remains of an old border fortification called Scarrowmanwick. Staffield Hall is distinguished for its walks and beautiful scenery.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.