Hensingham is a suburb of the town of Whitehaven; previously it was a seprate village before the growth of Whitehaven. Historically, Hensingham was a chapelry in the ancient parish of St Bees in the old county of Cumberland. From 1866 to 1934, Hensingham was a civil parish. In 1934 this was abolished and most of the area became part of Whitehaven Civil Parish, and other parts merged with Weddicar Civil Parish. The West Cumberland Hospital here, was opened in 1964, and is notable as the first new hospital built in England after the creation of the NHS.
HENSINGHAM, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Bees, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 1 mile (S. E.) from Whitehaven; containing 1019 inhabitants. The village, occupying an elevated site, commands an interesting view of the town and harbour of Whitehaven, and there are some neat villas in the neighbourhood. A manufactory for thread and check is in operation; and at Overend a large quantity of limestone is obtained and burnt. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £126: patron and impropriator, the Earl of Lonsdale: the tithes were commuted for land in 1767. Archbishop Grindal was born here in 1519.