Topics > Cumbria > Wiggonby

Wiggonby


Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

WIGGONBY, a township, in the parish of Aikton, union of Wigton, ward and E. division of Cumberland, 4¾ miles (N.E.) from Wigton; containing 190 inhabitants Margaret Hodgson, in 1792, left land now let for about £175 a year, in support of a school. Near Down Hall, within the township, is an encampment 60 yards square, planted with fir, and surrounded by a ditch.

Cumbria

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES