Ormside Parish, 1848
ORMSIDE (St. James), a parish, in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3¼ miles (S.E. by S.) from Appleby; containing 190 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 17. 3½.; net income, £166; patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The tithes were commuted for land in 1803; and there is a glebe-house. The church is a small ancient structure, situated on the south bank of the river Eden, which, washing the foundations of the building, in 1689, exposed to view some brazen vessels.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.