Swarthmoor


Swarthmoor is a village located to the south-east of Ulverston in the South Lakelands district of Cumbria. Prior to 1850 there were just a few farmsteads on Swarth Moor, and Swarthmoor Hall, which is located to the west of todays village. George Fox (1624-1691), a founder of the Quakers, came to the area in 1652 and was Fox and was later allowed by Judge Thomas Fell (1598–1658) to use Swarthmoor Hall as a meeting place. Fox later purchased land from the Swarthmoor Estate to build Swathmoor Friends' Meeting House.

The modern village of Swarthmoor grew in the mid-19th century, with houses built to accommodate the workers from nearby iron ore mines, particularly the Lindal Moor Mines. Some of the houses in Fox Street were built by John Bolton ('Old Daddy Bolton'), who was a surveyor and geologist. As the village grew in size it joint with the hamlets of Cross-a-Moor and Trinkeld. In 1883 a reading room was opened by Lord Muncaster as a place for local miners to read newspapers - the Reading Rooms building is now used by village organisations, it's upper floor is the church of St Leonard.[1] Swathmoor is the largest settlement within the Civil Parish of Penninton.

Swarthmoor is a small village near Ulverston, in Cumbria, England. Located on the Furness peninsula, it is historically part of Lancashire.

Etymology

Swarthmoor Village was named after its location on the Swarth Moor, which was formerly a marsh covered moorland. The Swarth Moor's name was derived from the word sweart, meaning black.

Swarthmoor Hall

Situated on the outskirts of the village is Swarthmoor Hall, where in 1652 George Fox founded the Quaker movement.

Facilities in Swarthmoor

Swarthmoor is home to Swarthmoor Social Football Club Founded in 1946, the club has two adult teams who play in the Furness Premier League. The Junior set-up was re-formed in 2005 and has over 200 children playing ranging from 4 to 16 years old.

There is a public house in the village - The Miners Arms, as well as a newsagents 1/2 a mile away.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 05/10/2018).
Visit the page: Swarthmoor for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
The Miners Arms, Swarthmoor

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Wild Duck

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Miners Arms, Swarthmoor

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://penningtonpc.co.uk/...
Swarthmoor Reading Rooms
- Swarthmoor Reading Rooms, Fox Street, LA12 0HT

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.visitoruk.com/Ul...
Swarthmoor
- "The expanding village of Swarthmoor is in the parish of Pennington, situated astride the A590 Ulverston to Barrow road. Prior to 1850 there were no houses in Swarthmoor, just a ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Swarth Moor Hall, Ulverston

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES