The village of Knock in Cumbria is located about 4 miles north of Appleby-in-Westmorland.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Knock is a small village in the Eden district of Cumbria, England, northwest of the larger village of Dufton. It lies midway between Cross Fell to the north and the town of Appleby-in-Westmorland to the south.
The place-name 'Knock' is first attested in a Yorkshire charter from between 1150 and 1162, where it appears as Chonoc-salchild. It appears as Knok in an Inquisition post mortem of 1323. The name means 'hillock', from the Brittonic *cnuc, Old Irish cnocc or Irish cnoc: the nearby Knock Pike is 1,306 feet high. It can be seen in the photo to the right. Circa 1870, it had a population of 197 as recorded in the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales.
Knock once had a Methodist chapel, but that was closed and the chapel at Dufton was renamed "Dufton with Knock Methodist Church". The former chapel in Knock was gutted in a fatal fire in April 2018.