Topics > Cumbria > Haverthwaite > War Memorial, Haverthwaite

War Memorial, Haverthwaite


The war memorial for Haverthwaite is located at the edge of the village cemetery, overlooking Levis Garth (road). The memorial commemorates 15 local servicemen who lost their lives in the First World War and was unveiled on the 27th of June 1920. It was designed by architect Dean John Brundrit, and made by Mr Thoms of Lancaster. Later, the memorial was inscribed with the names of 11 men who were killed in the Second World War and dedicated by Canon S. Taylor of Burneside on the 15th of June 1947. Haverthwaite War Memorial is Grade II listed.

Haverthwaite Historic Buildings and Monuments in Backbarrow & Haverthwaite CP
from Geograph (geograph)
War Memorial, Haverthwaite

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
Haverthwaite War Memorial
- "...Haverthwaite War Memorial is situated within the village cemetery, at what was considered to be the entrance to the village. 74 local people had served and returned from the First ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memo...
HAVERTHWAITE-CROSS

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1457206
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: SD3481384068

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES