STAINBURN, a township, in the parish of Workington, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 1 mile (E.) from Workington; containing 179 inhabitants. The tithes were commuted for land in 1812. Here was an oratory, subordinate to the priory of St. Bees.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.