HIGHEAD, or Ivegill, a chapelry, in the parish of Dalston
, union of Carlisle, ward, and E. division of the county, of Cumberland, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Dalston; containing 124 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80: patrons, twelve Trustees; appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle. The chapel, a mean building devoid of ornament, was erected by William L'Englise, and once belonged to the lords of the manor: near it, situated on the brow of a rocky eminence, are the gateway-tower, a turret, and other remains of Highead Castle, the ancient residence of the Richmond family, now a farmhouse.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Ivegill is a small village in the Eden district, Cumbria, England. The village has one place of worship and a school. It is located on an unclassified road near Southwaite services which is on the M6 motorway. It takes its name from the River Ive which flows through the centre of the village. Nearby settlements include the villages of Southwaite, Low Braithwaite, Middlesceugh and Highbridge.
Text from Wikipedia
, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 22/02/2021).
Visit the page: Ivegill
for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.