FARLETON, a township, in the parish of Beetham, union and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (N.) from Burton-in-Kendal; containing 118 inhabitants. It comprises 1,083 acres, of which 200 are waste land or common. The Kendal and Lancaster canal passes on the western side of the village. Farleton Knot, a lofty rock of limestone, has on its summit several springs. The tithes have been commuted for £3. 4. 9. payable to the vicar, £7. 2. 3. to impropriators, and £95 to the free grammar school, Kirkby-Lonsdale. There are some remains of a castle, supposed to be of Roman origin.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.