SLEAGILL, a township, in the parish of Morland, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 2½ miles (S.W.) from the village of Morland; containing 153 inhabitants. Coal is obtained here. The tithes were commuted for land, under acts of inclosure, in 1779 and 1803. The sum of £6 per annum, the produce of land, is paid to a schoolmaster.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Sleagill is a small village and civil parish in the Eden district of Cumbria, England. At the 2011 census Sleagill was grouped with Newby giving a total population of 282.
The village is about 8 miles (13 km) from the large town of Penrith and about from the small town of Appleby-in-Westmorland.
Sleagill has one place of worship.
For transport there is the A6, the A66 and the M6 motorway a few miles away.
Nearby settlements include the large town of Penrith, the small town of Appleby-in-Westmorland, the villages of Morland, King's Meaburn, Cliburn, Newby and Little Strickland and the hamlets of Littlebeck and Reagill.