Newlands Township, Cumberland, 1848
NEWLANDS, a chapelry, in the parish of Crosthwaite, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (S.W. by W.) from Keswick; containing 133 inhabitants. This place was formerly celebrated for its valuable mines of copper, which, from the great proportion of gold and silver they contained, were claimed as royal property in the reign of Elizabeth, who instituted against the Earl of Northumberland, on whose lordship they were discovered, a suit at law, which was decided in favour of the crown. The mines were destroyed, and most of the workmen killed, during the parliamentary war; and the ruins of smelting-houses and other buildings connected with the ancient works may still be traced on the banks of the river Bure. Immense quantities of lead-ore have also been raised in the neighbourhood, though the mines are at present comparatively unproductive; a quarry of fine slate for roofing has been opened, and at Stairs is a mill for carding wool. The village of Little Town is seated under a mountainous elevation, which from November till February precludes it from the rays of the sun. A fair for sheep is held on the first Friday in September. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Vicar of Crosthwaite. The chapel is situated near the village. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.