Topics > Cumbria > Dalton-in-Furness > Former Library Building

Former Library Building

The former public library on Nelson Street in Dalton-in-Furness opened in 1903. It was built for Dalton-in-Furness Urban Council with funding from Andrew Carnegie and the building is inscribed with "Carnegie Free Library 1903". In late 2016, the library was relocated to Dalton Community Centre ("Drill Hall"), also on Nelson Street. The former library is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.

Dalton-in-Furness Library 1903 Historic Buildings and Monuments in Dalton Town with Newton Civil Parish Former Libraries Andrew Carnegie (1835 - 1919)
from Flickr (flickr)
Dalton library

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Children's section in Dalton library

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Dalton library

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Dalton-in-Furness Library

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
- "Library. Dated 1903. For Dalton-in-Furness Urban Council; patron Andrew Carnegie. Snecked limestone with red ashlar sandstone dressings, graduated slate roof. 3 storeys and attic; 1:3 bays, bay 1 set forward …

Added by
Simon Cotterill


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

List number: 1218473
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: SD2290574173


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.