INGLEWOOD-FOREST, a district, in the parish and union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing 116 inhabitants
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
This was a 'Royal Forest' (an area reserved for hunting). In 1301, it this covered an extensive area of lowland between Carlisle and Penrith, lying west of River Eden as far as Thursby, Caldbeck and Blencow. Inglewood Forest was held by the Crown from the reign of Richard III until 1696, afterwhich there were a series of different land owners and boundary changes.