List number: 1319026
List grade: 2
Post code: LA9 4QG
Grid ref: SD5137393149
Wikipedia: St Thomas' Church...

Church of St Thomas, Kendal


St Thomas' Church is located on Stricklandgate in Kendal. The church was designed by George Webster and was consecrated on the 5th of July 1837. St Thomas' Church is a Grade II listed building.

St Thomas' Church is in Stricklandgate, Kendal, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Kendal, the archdeaconry of Westmorland and Furness, and the diocese of Carlisle. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. Along with St George's Church and the Church of Holy Trinity and St George it is one of three churches in the town designed by local architect George Webster.

History

Building of the church started in 1835, and it was consecrated on 5 July 1837. It was designed by the local architect George Webster. The church has subsequently altered, and additions have been made; in particular the interior has been extensively remodelled. There have been at least two pipe organs in the church, both of which have been removed. an earlier organ was built in about 1881 by Thomas Wilkinson, and was moved to Hightown Methodist Church, Luton, in 1898. This was replaced by a three-manual organ made by Harrison and Harrison, which was enlarged by the same company in 1909.

Architecture

Exterior

The church is constructed in stone with slate roofs. Its plan consists of a six-bay nave and a short chancel, without aisles, an octagonal north vestry, and an embraced west tower. The tower is in four stages. In the bottom stage are triple lancet windows flanked by single lancets; there are three stepped lancets in the second stage; a clock (moved from the town hall) in the third stage; and paired lancet bell openings in the top stage. Surmounting the tower is a castellated parapet with corner pinnacles. Along the sides of the church are paired lancets, separated by stepped buttresses. At the east end are three stepped lancets. The church is entered from the north side, through a concrete parish centre that was added in 1980.

Interior

The interior of the church has been much altered, including the removal of the original galleries and the tie-beams and king posts of the roof. It is fully carpeted, and has been opened up into the parish centre on the north side. The pulpit of 1882 has been reduced, and the reredos has been removed. In the east window is near-abstract stained glass made by Shrigley and Hunt.

Appraisal

The church was designated as a Grade II listed building on 30 January 1985. Grade II is the lowest of the three grades of listing, and is granted to buildings that are "nationally important and of special interest".

 

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 18/04/2019).
Visit the page: St Thomas' Church, Kendal for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from https://www.stkweb.org.uk/
St Thomas' Church, Kendal
- Official Website of the Church

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Parish Church of St Thomas, Kendal

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Thomas's Church, Kendal

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Thomas, Kendal: font

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Thomas, Kendal: stained glass window

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Thomas, Kendal: mid-February 2015

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Thomas, Kendal: war memorial

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Thomas, Kendal: dedication

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Thomas's Church Kendal, Cumbria

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS - Kendal - List Entry
- "Church; built to provide increased church accommodation within the Parish. 1835 by George Webster; consecrated 5th July 1837. Later additions and alterations. Orientated north-east/south-west with altar at latter end ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES