Topics > Cumbria > Piel Island > Trinity House Pilot Houses, Piel Island

Trinity House Pilot Houses, Piel Island

The Trinity House Pilot Houses on Piel Island are a terrace of 8 cottages, originally built in 1875 for the Duke of Buccleuch. They were used to accommodate harbour pilots and customs inspectors. The cottages are Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.

Piel Island Historic Buildings and Monuments in Barrow-in-Furness 1875
from Geograph (geograph)
Trinity House pilot houses, Piel Island

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Piel Island

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
1-8, PIEL ISLAND - List Entry
- "Terrace of 8 cottages. Dated 1875. For the Duke of Buccleuch. Scored stucco, graduated slate roof. 2 storeys, 8 windows to 1st floor in rhythm 1:1:2:2:1:1. Symmetrical with gabled centre …

Added by
Simon Cotterill


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

List number: 1197898
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: SD2321963894


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.