Topics > Cumbria > Tebay > Walney Island > Tebay Township, 1884

Tebay Township, 1884

TEBAY, a township, in the parish of Orton, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 2½ miles (S.) from Orton; containing 368 inhabitants. The township comprises 6,832 acres, of which 4,100 are common or waste. It is a mountainous district, divided into High End and Low End; and contains an ancient village, situated at the junction of the Birbeck and Lune rivulets, on the road from Kendal to Kirkby-Stephen. The Lune is crossed by the Lancaster and Carlisle railway twice near Lune Bridge, where the station has been placed for Tebay, Orton, and Kirkby-Stephen; the Birbeck stream is next crossed by a viaduct similar to that at Borrow Bridge, and here the ascent commences to Shap Fells, the highest point on the line. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £91. 12. 3; the rectorial tithes belong to the landowners. A free grammar school was endowed in 1672, by Robert Adamson, with land now producing about £40 per annum. Two large mounds in the vicinity, called Castle How, which command the pass by the river Lune, are Roman fortifications.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Tebay Orton Parish, Westmorland, 1848 Tebay Civil Parish, Penrith


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.